PDA

View Full Version : Flamingoes arrived in Mumbai!!!

Murugan Anantharaman
10-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Flamingoes have finally arrived in Mumbai. :D

They kept their date with Sewri mudflats and just this afternoon I noticed lots of flamingoes flying towards Navi Mumbai. Checked the Airoli creek on my way back from work and saw around 300-400 flamingoes. To all who live in and near mumbai this is a great opportunity to observe their behaviour and encourage the conservationists who lobby to retain their habitat.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Good to know that flamingoes have arrived. When did they arrive last year ie in the previous season?

Murugan Anantharaman
10-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I wasnt in mumbai this time last year so am not sure. But I read that in Sewri they arrived pretty much sometime in January in 2011. In Airoli creek I remember seeing them 2 years back in the month of April.

Abhishek Jamalabad
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Seems to be a late arrival this year. They usually arrive around dec-jan. Wonder whether the developments around Uran & JNPT have hampered their stay in those areas. Is Sewri (the docks) open to the public now? It had been restricted due to the terror attacks in Mumbai. One can find a few flamingoes at Elephanta Island too, but unfortunately the Indian Navy plans to establish a base there, don't know what the situation is right now.
TFS