PDA

View Full Version : Blue-eared Kingfisher....Record Shot!!!

Murugan Anantharaman
16-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Spotted this Blue-eared Kingfisher (Alcedo meninting) hunting for fish. It was quite far off, tried to get close but it would fly away. After about 5 mins it would come back but would not let me get close to it. Image has been cropped. Just a record shot.

Nikon D3100, F/5.6, Exposure 1/250,focal length 300mm.

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Murugan, this is a Small blue kingfisher Alcedo atthis. Identified by the orange ear coverts, which in Alcedo meninting are a dark blue.
Kingfishers use the very same perch day after day. Waiting near the spot (in a well-hidden position if possible) can get you a close shot. Experienced this when I shot my first kingfisher (a Pied KF) with my compact. Observed the bird's habits for 2 days, then got the shot on the third day when I waited at the spot.

Mrudul Godbole
17-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Nice sighting. I agree with Abhishek. You will find it perched on the same spot when you go next time. It would be good if you park yourself there before. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
17-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the comments Abhishek and Mrudul.

Was getting a bit confused with the id, thanks for clarifying abhishek. I wish I could go back to the same spot to catch the bird but not possible now. This spot was enroute to Rajmachi in the hills that too on the karjat side, so u see :( . But thanks for the information, atleast learnt a behavior of kingfishers for future use :)