PDA

View Full Version : Auto focus function with Canon 1.4X III extender

Tiger Ramesh
19-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi. If I use a 1.4X (mark 3 latest) extender with an L series 100-400 4.5-5.6 EF lens of canon, will I lose the auto focus function? Thanks for any input.

Sabyasachi Patra
19-02-2012, 10:37 AM
When you use the 100-400 lens with a 1.4x TC, the aperture becomes f8. So you will lose auto focus function with all cameras except the 1 series cameras. In the 1 series cameras (except the yet to be launched Canon EOS 1DX), you can use the centre AF point to auto focus. If I remember right you were using a 7D. In the EOS 7D camera, you will lose auto focus and have to manually focus if you use the 1.4x (I, II, III versions).

Tiger Ramesh
19-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks a lot. I am told that we have to mask 3 pins using a tape so that auto focus will work on 7D..

When you use the 100-400 lens with a 1.4x TC, the aperture becomes f8. So you will lose auto focus function with all cameras except the 1 series cameras. In the 1 series cameras (except the yet to be launched Canon EOS 1DX), you can use the centre AF point to auto focus. If I remember right you were using a 7D. In the EOS 7D camera, you will lose auto focus and have to manually focus if you use the 1.4x (I, II, III versions).

Tiger Ramesh
19-02-2012, 03:00 PM
It works as follows:

http://www.michaelfurtman.com/taping_the_pins.htm

Sabyasachi Patra
23-02-2012, 02:07 PM
The pin taping is a popular trick which works well for some and not so well for others. If you are in a safari, then better to rest the lens on the vehicle and use the manual focus ring to fine tune the focus.

Tiger Ramesh
24-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks Sabs. I learnt another thing. I am using a 1.4X mark III extender of canon. When i mask the three pins, auto focus slows down but aperture does not drop !!! Picture quality is excellent.

If i don't mask then auto focus goes away and aperture drops by 1 stop.