PDA

View Full Version : White-cheeked Barbet | Record shot

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-02-2012, 02:55 PM
White cheeked barbet Megalaima viridis. Have been trying in vain on many occasions to get a good shot of this bird. Got this one in my backyard today. Though they are very common here, they don't always show up in the open. Guess I'll have to keep trying harder... This is also one of my most favourite birds. :)
The call of this species is very similar to the Brown-headed Barbet, but can be identified by its pitch- The WCB's call is distinctly higher pitched.

Canon SX10 IS
SS 1/125
Av 5.7
EC -1/3
ISO 200
Cropped to a vertical.
I did not make any changes to the saturation/vibrance, but it still looks a bit high to me. Should I pull it back?

Thanks, C&C awaited.

Mrudul Godbole
20-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice you could photograph it in your backyard :). Good eye contact. I think you could have used a higher ISO, for some more sharpness. I am fine with the saturation. Any particular reason for it being one of your most favorite birds? Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
21-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice Abhishek, the greens all around look good. this how one will see it most of the time. It also has a different call which is very similar to that of the Indian Scops owl a single Wok repeated in regular intervals. although mostly vegetarian they do go after insects, recently i saw one polish off a big garden lizard. did make some images but didnt come out well.

TFS
Roopak

Kaustuv Chatterjee
21-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Very beautiful Abhishek! You could tone down the saturation a bit and see how it looks..but this looks quite good anyway. Yet to see this bird...its beautiful!

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks all
Mrudul: ISO 200 is pretty much the limit in the SX10 :(
Roopak: I believe you could share the shots as a natural history record... ?

Roopak Gangadharan
21-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Sure will abhishek

Rgds
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
24-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree you did the best you could. Nice to sight it in your backyard. Perhaps Mrudul thought you were using your DSLR. In compact cameras with small sensors the high ISO performance is not good. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi