PDA

View Full Version : Gaur calf suckling

Kaustuv Chatterjee
21-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Early morning in Pench national park. The moment we entered we came across a large Gaur herd grazing. Magnificent animals made more so in the early morning jungle ambience and the cold. This was in Nov 2010. I was alerted by Rohan Daharwal, our guide, to the calf sucking, which I'd missed, busy photographing the males. This shot is thanks to Rohan, an excellent and knowledgeable guide passionate about what he does.

Shot with Nikon D 3000, 70-300mm VR, at 125mm; 1/20s - F/4.8; 0EV

Mrudul Godbole
21-02-2012, 10:19 PM
A nice tender moment captured. The eye contact of both the mother and calf is good. Is this full frame? I would have liked some more space all around. You could have zoomed out to add more space at the bottom to include the legs in full. The shutter speed was quite less. What was the ISO? Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Nice document.Life's most precious bond is being developed.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Kaustuv Chatterjee
22-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Mrudul, Shaktipada,

This was shot at ISO 400. The light was very weak...it was 6 am in the morning and just after pre dawn...I had the 70-300 on the body and no time to change to the 18 - 105mm. Hence the low shutter speed to get as much light as I could. Agree, I felt too later that I should have included some more area around the frame. Heat of the moment...learnings for future such moments!

Roopak Gangadharan
23-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Nice moment. In our hurry to make images we sometimes miss enjoying the moment itself.Good that you got it. I messed up a similar scene at BRT .

TFS
Roopak

Sabyasachi Patra
23-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Kaustuv,
This is a nice sighting. Wish you had more space all around. I guess since your attention was on the calf you tried to zoom in as much as possible. However, more space in the front ie. in the direction the mother is looking and more space at the bottom to include the complete legs would have been good. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Kaustuv Chatterjee
23-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Agree Sabyasachi....next time.... :)