PDA

View Full Version : Asian Koyal- Female

Murugan Anantharaman
22-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Suddenly heard this Koyal while in my balcony. Managed to get a couple of snaps. She had come to eat the fruit of the Ashoka tree near my house. Yesterday I also saw a lovely Robin in the ashoka tree but it disappeared before I could get my camera.

Cropped the image a bit, I seem to have messed up the pp a bit, can figure out the noise in the image :(

Nikon D3100, F/9,SS 1/80, ISO 400, 300mm.

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Nice image with habitat.
The female koel(Eudynamys scolopacea) has no song.It only utters a shrill kik-kik-kik.
The singing bird was a male(voice:kuoo-kuoo-kuoo),which has evaded your long lens.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
22-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Saktipadaji: This is the first time I have seen a female koyal. I have always noticed the jet black male koyal only whenever I have seen/heard it. I heard the call and hence looked out but only spotted her. I didnt know that females koyals dont sing :). As you said I might have missed the guy.

Mrudul Godbole
23-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice you got to photograph her from your balcony :). It is quite difficult to sight. You could have used a wider aperture like f6.3 to get a higher shutter speed. Wish the head was also in the clear. Thanks for sharing.