PDA

View Full Version : Nilgiri Tahrs.....Eravikulam NP

V S Sankar
22-02-2012, 10:53 PM
It seems to be archive time on Indiawilds.So I thought of posting this.Nilgiri Tahrs are quite a few in number and are confined to the Eravikulam NP.Munnar,Kerala.The pic was taken with my good old Nikon FM2.

The exposure details are unknown.

Regards

Saktipada Panigrahi
22-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Nice to see the image of this highly endandered mammal in its habitat.Well composed.The habitat and the parallel horns curved backwards look beautiful. I do not know about its present status in Tamil Nadu.Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
23-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Nice image Sankar. Brings back my memories from school, the last time I had seen a Tahr was during my summer vacation with my parents near Ooty nearly 20 years back. Unfortunately I didnt have a camera then :(

Mrudul Godbole
23-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Nice environment composition. The green grass in the foreground gives a nice feel of monsoon season. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Sankar,
No hard and fast rule that one cannot post images once again. :) The question is whether one is learning after looking at the past images or it is just for the sake of posting an image.

When I was in Nokia, I had started a project with WWF which had a component of estimating the Nilgiri tahr population status. It used the pellet count method and new populations of Nilgiri tahrs have been found. Unfortunately, their grassland habitat is under unprecedented threat due to new human habitations, poaching, cultivation of lemon grass, pet dogs etc etc. With the fragmentation of their habitat, the nilgiri tahr can no longer move from one cliff to another without being hunted (even by pet and feral dogs). It is the state animal of Tamil Nadu but not much protection.

Sabyasachi