PDA

View Full Version : Red Vented Bulbul

Murugan Anantharaman
24-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Saw this lovely bulbul from my balcony this morning. There seems to be a sudden burst of birding in and around my place, probably due to its proximity with Sanjay Gandhi National park. The bulbul was running around and with limited space to move around I could manage to take a couple of shots of which this is the first.

Nikon D3100, f/5.6, SS 1/100, ISO 100, focal length 300mm,exp bias +.3

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Nice perch and eye contact.Wish the red vent be visible next time.I was searching for a mango in your tree.Looking at the leaves,it seems to bear a good variety.This year because of heavy rains and extended winter, out of my four mango trees only two are in partial bloom.

I am waiting for my friends-'Epis dorsata'-a species of honeybee that flies from the Himalayas to the Sundarbans and from there some to my small garden every year.Their beehive remains fully protected and untouched.With so little flowering, will they remember my love and affection!
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
25-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your comments Saktipadaji. My mango tree blooms well once in 2 years. This year it should be good. I dont know if this is a characteristic of mango trees but of the 2 trees we have they take turns, which is good for us since we always have some nice 'khatta' mangoes to devour :) .

Attaching another image, which is not very good in terms of quality but the red vent is clearly visible.

Saktipadaji, I am sure the honeybees with notice your love and affection and visit you this year definitely.

Mrudul Godbole
25-02-2012, 01:27 PM
In the first post you got it nicely in the open. The eye contact is also good. You could have used a higher ISO and a narrower aperture to get more details. Wish there was some eye contact in the second perch, but as you have said the red vent is nicely visible. Its good that you are able to some birding from your balcony :). Thanks for sharing.

Saktipadaji, its nice to know that honey bees visit your place. Is your place close to Sunderban? If possible would love to see any record images of the bees once they visit your place. Thanks for sharing the information.

Sabyasachi Patra
26-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Murugan,
Nice to know that you have been blessed with some good bird views from your balcony. With the concretisation of our cities and apartment blocks trees and birds are becoming increasingly rare.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Murugan Anantharaman
27-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Mrudul- I still need to get used to bird photography. Many a times when I spot a bird I shoot with most basic settings I have already set. My concern at that point of time is to capture these wonderful birds, as many times even before focussing I realize they take off. Need to slowly get into the groove for bird photgraphy.

Sabyasachi- My balcony has extended to my terrace after spotting a couple of these lovely birds :). But yes you are right it is indeed a blessing so far to get to see these birds. There is a huge patch of greenery behind my house thanks to a disputed factory which had been locked for 25 yrs untill a few months ago. But sadly the dispute is off now and three 40 storey buildings are being constructed. Its only a matter of time when this patch of greenery is also gone :(