PDA

View Full Version : Serpent Eagle

Namrata Ramesh
25-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Juvenile Serpent Eagle. I liked it because of the 180 deg turn and contact with both eyes. My first post at India Wilds :)

Kabini, Jan 2012.

Canon 7D, 70-200 2.8 II, ISO 800, f/2.8, 200mm, +1 EC
Cropped using Photoscape.

Roopak Gangadharan
25-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Nice image.Like the eye contact. Is this a big crop ?wud like more space all around.

TFS
Roopak

Murugan Anantharaman
25-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice image Namrata. Nice first posting at Indiawilds. The head turn and eye contact is indeed lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Joshi Bhavya
25-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome Ramesh, Good shot, Nice head turn and agree with Roopak about space.. Keep clicking..

Atul Sinai
25-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Head turn looks great ! Composition is bit too tight for me. Is this a big crop? Focus looks to be locked on the body instead of the eye. Loved the overall feel of the image though. Thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
25-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Hello Namrata,

Welcome to IndiaWilds..!!

Nice head turn and eye contact. I agree with the above comments about more space all around. What was the shutter speed? I think due to the crop, there is noise in the background. Look forward to more from you. Thanks for sharing.

Supreet Sahoo
26-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Welcome to indiawilds, one forum where you will learn a lot. Agree with all the comments made below, this looks like a big crop. The head turn is captured well. Will look forward to more in future.

Tfs
Supreet

Sabyasachi Patra
26-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Namrata,
Welcome to IndiaWilds!

I agree with the previous comments. I am sure you will learn a lot here, not only photographic techniques but also animal behaviour.

Do you use a Telecoverter? With the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens that you are using, a 2xII or a recently launched 2xIII TC will work well and will give you a focal length of 400mm at the longest end.

Nearly two decades back when I was starting to photograph wildlife with a SLR camera, all my efforts was to get a close up. Later on with longer lenses, I started creating more images with the habitat. Wish I had tried that when I had shorter lenses. Since you are using a 70-200 lens now, I suggest that rather than trying to crop and just show the subject, it would be better if you try and create an image to show the subject in relation to its environment.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Namrata Ramesh
27-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments and advice! :) I should have left more space around the picture - after re cropping the original, it looks much better!

@ Roopak, Atul, Supreet - It wasn't a big crop, but I think I might have cropped it a bit too tightly, giving the impression. Thanks :)

@ Murugan, Joshi - Thanks! Will definitely keep clicking.

@Mrudul - The shutter speed was 1/250 sec. Will definitely leave more space around. Thanks!

@Sabyasachi - I do not use a teleconverter - am planning to start! Thanks for the tip!

Sabyasachi Patra
27-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Namrata,
@ sign is used by a lot of people in the internet. However, the only thing that I see when someone uses the @ sign infront of my name, the image of my finance prof. floats across. It appears as if I am compared/weighed as a bag of potatoes. :D So just addressing someone by name is fine. No need to add the @ before a name.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Namrata Ramesh
27-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Sabyasachi,
No problem! :)
Regards, Namrata