PDA

View Full Version : White Breasted Kingfisher

Murugan Anantharaman
28-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I saw this kingfisher 3 years back in my backyard for the first time. Yesterday I remembered a previous kingfisher post of mine wherein abhishek and mrudul had commented that kingfishers return to the same spot. I took a chance and went looking for this bird and I actually saw it in the same spot. I am not sure if its the same kingfisher but definitely was a white breasted one. So a big thanks to abhishek and mrudul for this image :) . This guy seems to be eternally hungry, first saw him hunt a bee/fly and then in a matter of 10 mins he hunted a lizard :)

Nikon D3100, F/5.6, SS 1/250,fl 300mm, ec +.3, cropped a bit for composition.

Anand Madabhushi
28-02-2012, 02:46 PM
nice capture

Mrudul Godbole
28-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Good you could sight it again at the same post. I think they do have a favorite perch which they frequent. There is a small pond behind my office, where I always see a kingfisher perched :). Good eye contact. The 'V' shaped branch looks nice, but I think the left branch takes the attention away from the bird as it is pointing to the other direction. I feel you could have composed with more space on the right in the direction it is looking. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
28-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice image.This is our State Bird.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
28-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Murugan,
It is great that you saw it hunting. I am waiting to see one holding a lizard.

I think in bengali they call this bird kilkila (?) because of its sound.