PDA

View Full Version : Slender Billed Vulture

Dipankar Mazumdar
01-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Dear All,
Slender Billed Vulture on its roosting perch from the Eastern zone of the Kaziranga National Park.

The Bombax was the hub of all activity at this time of the year. Not only for the Barbets, Starlings , Maynas and parakeets but also the Raptors for whom the unobstructed commanding views found a lot of favour.

Earlier known as the Long billed vulture, this has recently been split into the Indian Vulture occupying the south of the ganges and the Slender billed occupying the North west.

EOS 7D + 300 f4 @ 1/640, f9 ISO 1600.
F9 was to ensure a greater DOF as the bird is pretty large, the vulture was pretty still, I chose a higher ISO to get a higher shutter speed ( Not confident with my hand holding..:sad:)

Look forward to comments

Cheers
Dipankar

Mrudul Godbole
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Nice to see this rare species. Good perch and eye contact. The red flowers add to the image. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice image. The depth of field is good. I think the colour temperature can be tweaked slightly. The flowers add to the image. I agree that whenever you are not confident, you can increase the ISO. When I am in long treks, I do increase the ISO. Especially after coming to Delhi, in the last three months, I haven't done any exercise. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bharat Goel
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice details, Indeed flowers add to the image, as vulture is a scavenger and flowers in contrast brings softness to vulture's character. I agree that taking a picture on high ISO makes ensure the picture will be sharp, but just want to ask you that have you taken any shots at lower ISO also if bird was there for some time.