PDA

View Full Version : A Young Tusker

Div Puri
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
This picture is of a young tusker in Corbett. He eventually chased us.

Canon 5D, Canon EF 100-400.
ISO 100, F5.6 1/40, 400mm.

C&C welcome.

Mrudul Godbole
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Div,

Thats a good composition. Liked the colour and the details in the skin. Would have loved if you could have possibly zoomed out a bit to include the top of the head and the legs, to make it a complete profile. There is a some movement of the left ear, since your shutter speed was quite low. Was it late evening when you took this photograph?

Look forward to more..

AB Apana
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
A potentially great image DIv. He's in your face, but would have liked to have seen the entire body OR a closer shot showing the head and tusks.

Apana

Div Puri
06-05-2009, 04:03 PM
A potentially great image DIv. He's in your face, but would have liked to have seen the entire body OR a closer shot showing the head and tusks.

Apana
Hi Apana,
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree it would been a better shot if I had the legs in the frame. I did crop the head off a little bit thinking it'll give balance to the image.

Thanks again,
Div

Div Puri
06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Div,

Thats a good composition. Liked the colour and the details in the skin. Would have loved if you could have possibly zoomed out a bit to include the top of the head and the legs, to make it a complete profile. There is a some movement of the left ear, since your shutter speed was quite low. Was it late evening when you took this photograph?

Look forward to more..
Hi Mrudul,
Yes it was in the evening and was very overcast. In fact it was last Saturday and soon after I took the shot it started raining.
Apana had the same sentiments..wish I could have got the legs. In my defensive it was nervous times :). I will upload another picture which i personally really like, its full of shake and does give the feel of how fast this elephant ran when it chased us. It looks like a sketch made from colour pencils :). Sharing that one soon.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback.

Div

Sabyasachi Patra
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Div,
I agree with the previous posters. I would either have the entire elephant in the frame or just zoom in for a closeup.

The skin texture is very nice. The shutter speed is 1/40, so I would increase the ISO. I always try to use the lowest ISO possible, but if I find that I am not getting sharp images despite using all the tricks, then I bump up the ISO. It is easier to master the camera shake due to low shutter speed but one can't overcome subject movement. If there is subject movement, then I definitely increase the ISO.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi