PDA

View Full Version : Common Hoopoe

Anand Madabhushi
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
This is the same Common Hoopoe who gave plenty of time at ground level and answered my prayers and perched on a tree. Wish the branch was not there to partially block the beak.

TV Mode; 1/640; f14; ISO 800; 100-400@400; PP----changed WB from auto to day light; changed Picture Style from Neutral to Portrait. About 20-25% crop on top and right.

Mrudul Godbole
04-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Agree it would have been great without the partial lighting. Why f14? I think a wider aperture like f8 with a lower ISO would have sufficed in the case, as there is some noise in the background. Is the AF point locked on the branch in the foreground? Please check. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree that if the beak would not have been hidden behind the branch and the shadow cutting across, then this image would have looked much better. Keep on trying.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Mrudul,

I set the Tv mode to ensure that the shutter speed was equivalent to the focal length (400and1.6factor) as I was shooting hand held and there was need to factor in the 1.6. Camera set f14. The subject was mostly on the ground and when he did perch on a tree I was just grabbing the opportunity. He gave about six shots with varied eye/beak positions. This was the best with least shadow on the eye and resultant catch lite.I am glad to be learning every day from you and Patraji.

BTW there are different schools of thought in leveraging the 1.6 factor into focal length. More so while calculating focal length with 1.4X and 2X converters. Some add this 1.6 factor to the multiplier 1.4X and/or 2X. Not many appreciate the fact that 1.6 factor is field (or cropped) view and it does not add to the focal length.Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Agree it would have been great without the partial lighting. Why f14? I think a wider aperture like f8 with a lower ISO would have sufficed in the case, as there is some noise in the background. Is the AF point locked on the branch in the foreground? Please check. Thanks for sharing.

Anand Madabhushi
07-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Mrudul,
The AF is on the neck just below the eye.
Anand
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the AF point locked on the branch in the foreground? Please check.