PDA

View Full Version : One cheek at a time.... (ID please)

Anand Madabhushi
06-03-2012, 05:16 AM
1/80; f5.6; ISO 400; 70-300@300. Wish was a tad more sharper.
Tadoba while waiting for a tiger.

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Nice rare image.It appears to me to be Rufous Male Asian Paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi). ID:Rufous-chestnut upperpart,entire crested head,blue eye ring. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Immmature male Asian Paradise Flycatcher -Terpsiphone paradisi

blue eye ring looks nice.Agree on the sharpness

TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
06-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice sighting. The perch and the eye contact is nice. The shutter speed was quite less, you could increased the ISO further for higher shutter speed to get more sharpness. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-03-2012, 01:44 PM
A beautiful bird. Nice sighting. A longer focal length would have helped. Why were you not using your 100-400 lens? Good that you saw without any intervening vegetation. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Patraji

I acquired 100-400 much later. Now every alternate mornings I am out in one of the city parks looking for birds.

Recently I messaged you about 7D joining my gear. I am now struggling/learning to juggle the focusing zone of 19 points. I am retaining the 60D.

Thank you so much.
Regards
Anand

A beautiful bird. Nice sighting. A longer focal length would have helped. Why were you not using your 100-400 lens? Good that you saw without any intervening vegetation. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
06-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Mrudul,

In fact the Auto ISO was on and it beats me as to why the camera did not push the ISO. In the shade (and almost at the end evening) that the subject was, this seemed OK.

The next image "The other cheek...." shot after watching the beauty with naked eyes for a few seconds @ 1/60 and 5.6 seems to be a tad better in sharpness. Shall post tomorrow.

Thanks once again

Anand

Nice sighting. The perch and the eye contact is nice. The shutter speed was quite less, you could increased the ISO further for higher shutter speed to get more sharpness. Thanks for sharing.

Anand Madabhushi
06-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Saktida and Gangadharanji

How do we distinguish a male from a female in this specie?

Regards
Anand

Nice rare image.It appears to me to be Rufous Male Asian Paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi). ID:Rufous-chestnut upperpart,entire crested head,blue eye ring. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Anand Bhai,
The adult male has entire crested head (colour: glossy metallic black) which I find clearly visible in your photograph.Secondly, the male will have tail streamers.In your photograph I find two tail streamers are in the intermediate stage of development.The upper parts and tail of this bird on attaining maturity can be white or rufous.
The difficulty arises in ID because female and immature male have also rufous-chestnut upperpart.Since I find in the image,the bird has entire crested head and the the tail streamers are fairly developed,in my view,it is a Rufous Male Asian Paradise Flycatcher.In India,scientific name for rufous coloured bird has been kept same( Birds of India).
Kind regards,
SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Anand sab as pointed by Shakti sir the easiest way to distinguish immature male and female is the glossy bluish black head.You will also see the begining of a streamer at the end of the tail.Females have dull black to grey head. Mature males have long streamers and are unmistakable.

TFS
Roopak