PDA

View Full Version : Free as a bird

Kaustuv Chatterjee
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
While I was recently in Corbett, we saw a flock of black storks which took flight. Among many shots which I took, this one stood out and represented to me the song by Lynard Skynard - Free as a bird...its soar and grace exemplified what we humans have always been fascinated with....the freedom that flight represents....freedom from ignorance, freedom from boundaries, freedom from the earth! A bit philosophical on Holi evening, but felt like being free to share it on Indiawilds!
Shot with the Nikon D90; 70-300mm VR, 220mm; 1/3200s - F/6.3; -0.7EV; ISO 200

Saktipada Panigrahi
08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice image of the bird in flight. Wingspread beautifully documented.I am looking at the winglet at the tip of the left wing.Aircraft designers could put in place this concept only in the 90's.
Coming to your well written preamble,I would have preferred only one small change: 'Freedom from the earth' to be substituted by 'Freedom from the crowd of uneducated literates.'

Why should they seek freedom from the earth?
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Kaustuv Chatterjee
08-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi Shaktida, thanks for your comments :) liked them.

By 'freedom from the earth' I meant freedom from the bonds of the earth as a metaphor of release from our materialistic bonds.. (simile here, terra firma or the earth whose gravitational pull does not let us go...)

Happy Holi!

Mrudul Godbole
09-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Nice flight pose. Good eye contact. The upward wing stroke looks nice. Good to see some philosophical discussion, thanks Kaustav and Saktipadaji for your views :).

Sabyasachi Patra
09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree. There is only one earth. We need to save it. However, I guess the way we are destroying mother Earth, there will be a time when people will try to find a way out to escape from it.

Nice wingspread. They way they move their wingtips, I guess the aircraft manufacturers took cues from the birds before designing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi