PDA

View Full Version : Indian Cormorant.. Arms wide open!!!

Murugan Anantharaman
15-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Saw this cormorant while photographing flamingoes in Airoli creek in Navi Mumbai. This bird was sitting with its wings open for quite a while. I first thought maybe its exercising its wings and would fold it back, but it seemed as if it had been mesmerised by something. Was interesting to watch it.

Nikon D3100, F/9, SS 1/320, ISO 400, focal length 300mm. cropped a bit.

Roopak Gangadharan
15-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Nice.I think the bird is drying itself.they do it all the time.

TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
15-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Good image.In my view,it is a Great Cormorant(Phalacrocorax carbo) in breeding plumage,not Indian Cormorant(Phalacrocorax fuscicollis).Roopak Bhai is correct when he says, it is drying up its wings,it does so at every opportunity.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
15-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Nice behavior captured. I agree with the comments above. Good display of habitat. Thanks for sharing.

Ragoo Rao
15-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Little Cormorant-Phalacrocorax niger.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I generally have a problem in identifying these. While giving id, it would be great learning experience to have the reasons as well. I am describing the two:

The large cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo has a yellow gular pouch and in non-breeding birds it is less bright. Breeding birds have white on head and neck.

The Little cormorant is much smaller in size, black and with a small white throat patch and has a stiff tail.