SangeetaDhanuka
08-05-2009, 03:03 PM
we got these beauties in Mumbai last Sunday

regards,
Sangeeta

Sabyasachi Patra
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Sangeeta,
Nice moment. You got the flamingoes running parallel to you. Most of the times people see their backs as flamingoes run away from you. The image gives good idea about their habitat. Is it full frame? I would have liked some more space in the front.

Please share the camera, EXIF and ISO details so that it will be easier to comment ways to strengthen the image.

From this image it appears that the focus is on the mangrove at the centre. A narrow aperture would have given you greater depth of field to cover the flamingoes. You need to open up the blacks a bit as the blacks in the wings appear to be blocked and has lost details. That may need some reprocessing. Overall its nice. Thanks for sharing.

Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

SangeetaDhanuka
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the detailed comments Sabyasachi...its great learning. I have seen ur comment on my next post as well...so wont mention the camera & other details here again. I had to keep the aperture wide to get the shutter speed as we were in a moving boat. My other friends who kept the aperture narrow only got 1/500 even with their digi SLRs & got a blur due to the moving boat. Also, I agree on our point about the focus. S3IS has only one point of focus & i was composing the shot when they suddenly took off..i just clicked reflexly. but i will certainly keep these valuable tips in mind when i shoot again

Sabyasachi Patra
08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Sangeeta,
You are absolutely right. One stop increase in aperture would have brought down your shutter speed from 1/1000 to 1/500. In a moving boat it can be the difference between a shot and a blur. It is better to give instructions to the boatman to stop when there are birds infront of you. However, I have seen that it takes sometime for the boatman to understand why he should stop when someone is photographing.

The DSLRs can use higher ISOs without much of grains. I won't suggest using higher ISOs in the compact cameras. Looking at this result I am sure your friends carrying DSLRs would have had red faces. :-)

These days compact cameras are becoming better and better and when in good hands, can at times be a source of potential embarrassment for DSLR users. Look forward to more from this series.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi