PDA

View Full Version : Sariska tigers’ miscarriage due to stress

Mrudul Godbole
18-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Sariska tigers’ miscarriage due to stress

Jaipur, Mar 17, 2012, DHNS:

Experts remain optimistic, say breeding will increase if environment is improved
There may not be news of breeding success amongst the five tigers relocated to the Sariska tiger reserve, but experts still remain optimistic over the fate of the animals and their ability to multiply.

Though two of the relocated female tigers at the reserve were said to have miscarried, it may not be a serious set back if environment around the Park is improved for the animals to breed.

Dr K Shankar from the Dehradun-based Wildlife Institute of India, who is part of the expert team associated with the Sariska project, said hormone tests on the two tigers – ST-2 and ST-3 – revealed the two had miscarried despite being successful in conceiving.

“This reveals that the three female and two male tigers translocated from Ranthambore National Park are mating and two of the females are able to conceive,” Dr Shankar, speaking at a seminar titled Rebuilding Sariska: Challenges Ahead, said.

“We are analysing the reasons for the abortion,” the expert told audience at the seminar organised by the Sariska Tiger Foundation here at Alwar on Saturday.

Though tests are needed to ascertain the precise reasons, experts believe human activities in and around the Park is adding stress on the animals causing adverse impact on their breeding.
WII ex-director Dr H S Panwar admitted stress on the animals in Sariska remains high.

“The animals are facing stress due to a large human presence in and around the reserve,” he said.

“Even wild animals need conducive and peaceful environment to breed and multiply.”

Dr Shankar said that stress levels of the animals are being assessed on the scats tests.

The forest department had recently shifted the village of Umri out of the Park’s vicinity. However, 28 villages around the Park and nine within the notified area still exist.

Director of Sariska Tiger Reserve RS Shekawat said the forest department faces a daunting task of shifting the nearly 2454 families away from the areas of the Park.

The slow depletion of vegetation, as the villagers on the Park’s edges fell trees for fuel, is also a serious challenge for the authorities.

Shekawat said providing LPG connections to the villagers would minimise their dependency on the forest for firewood. Though a beginning has been made in this direction, there is a long way to go, he added.

Experts believe Sariska has one of the highest grey density in the country and can be rebuilt.
Offering more suggestions at the event Dr Shankar said the Park can accommodate up to 15 tigers, but maximising vegetation and minimising human intrusion into the area must be given more importance to improve the chances of breeding amongst relocated tigers.

Saktipada Panigrahi
19-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Good Morning.Thank you Madam Mrudul for posting this article.

We are living in a world where every individual is an economist.Who is an economist? I read somewhere that an economist is a person who can tell you tomorrow why he was wrong yesterday!

I have once written that a few months before his sudden death, on the sidelines of a seminar on the Sundarbans ,I was fortunate to have some discussion with Late Shri Fateh Singh Rathore on Sariska.I told him that Sariska has good density of prey species,inter alia,lare prey like Sambar and Nilgai (Sambar used to attain largest size in Sariska and Hazaribagh). Why then the translocated tigers are not breeding.

The father of Ranthambhore with his usual smile told me that the density of prey in Sariska is limited to an oval-shaped area.

Now,I find in this article-'Sariska can accommodate upto 15 tigers.'

Since 1993,the census reports recorded that Sariska had 24/25 tigers before they suddenly vanished.Then how is that maximum of 15 now?

Because we are all Economists.

All my good wishes,hopes and fears for Sariska remain.I visited it in my early twenties and learnt the difference between a Deer and an Antelope.
SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
19-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Its is very unfortunate to hear about the miscarriages of the tigresses at Sariska. The reasons stated are revolving around human inhabitation in and around the jungles. What I fail to understand is why did the authorities not consider moving out the villages before re-introducing the tigers at Sariska. Its basic common sense that a jungle where tigers once roamed freely which turned out to be death grounds for them, will not be hospitable again for them till there is a very strong process of protecting them is in place.

It seems the authorities are covering up for the goof up of 'extincting' the tigers at sariska by re-introducing for the sake of it. No one really seems to be caring whether they are doing well or not. As Saktida says 'Economists'. Much as we try to be optimistic i feel there has to be a transformational change in the mindset of everyone. As of now the blame game goes on and keeps getting cascading at every level which is not resulting in anything concrete.

What is going to happen i wonder?? Its really really scary :sad: