PDA

View Full Version : Brown capped pygmy woodpecker

Kaustuv Chatterjee
20-03-2012, 08:02 PM
This was shot from the watchtower of Sitavani forest rest house in Ramnagar forest reserve opposite Corbett national park. This was among many insectivorous birds part of a mixed hunting party, also commonly called perhaps as a 'bird wave'.
Shot at 300mm with the Nikon D90, 70-300 VR lens at ISO 400; 1/320s - F/5.6; -0.7EV

Saktipada Panigrahi
21-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Nice find or discovery.Cute bird.Good image under trying conditions.Nice composition.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
21-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Nice to see this species. Wish there was a slight head turn towards you, as that would have enhanced the eye contact further or maybe moving more to the right would have helped. The habitat looks nice. Wish it was closer. How is the sighting in Sitavani? Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Great find. Good to see this species. I agree that a head turn towards you would have been ideal. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
21-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Nice pic.This is a grey-capped pigmy woodpecker -Dendrocopos canicapillus.

I don't think the brown-capped Dendrocopos nanus is found as far north as corbett.

TFS
Roopak

Murugan Anantharaman
21-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Nice image Kaustuv. Cute bird and the branches have been well captured. The bg also looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
21-03-2012, 04:09 PM
It also appears to me as Grey-capped Pygmy Woodpecker(Dendrocopos canicapillus),as Roopak Bhai has already opined,as because I find central tail feathers are not spotted.
However,Brown-capped Pygmy Woodpeckers(Dendrocopos nanus) are also found in Bhabar and Terai landscapes say, upto 1200 m altitude within which Ramnagar Range is located.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Kaustuv Chatterjee
22-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the correction, good learning. Mrurul, I found Sitavani exceptional. It was my 1st trip there and the forest is very beautiful. We didn't stay for long...only 1 night and the following morning, but could make out the species diversity it holds. Saw 8 species and uncommon ones at that within a span of 2 to 3 hrs in the morning.