PDA

View Full Version : Leaping Frog and the Ant!

Bibhav Behera
21-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I was taking a stroll in the woods in Chorla Ghats when I saw a small frog (1.5") jump. It was very well camouflaged and was visible only when it jumped. This I believe is the Leaping frog from the Indirana genus. No sure of the exact species.

It was injured in its hind left leg and an ant (species unidentified. Abhishek's help reqd :)) held on to it and just would not let go. The frog tried to get rid of it but to no avail.

I did not interfere in the process.

Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
SS 1/60 (Flash Fired at -1 EC)
f/6.3
ISO 2500

Full Frame Image shot handheld. Comments and Critiques welcome.

Murugan Anantharaman
21-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Apt moment captured Bibhav. The wound is very clearly visible and the ant seems to be making the most of it. It seems to have latched onto it and would not want to miss a meal at any cost it seems. Its amazing when one observes nature and all the activities within it. We do not have any right to interfere. Good work that you did not interfere. Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
21-03-2012, 09:58 PM
This is a very interesting record. The ant appears to be a weaver ant (Oecophylla smaragdina) worker. You would rarely find a solitary ant of this species, were there any more nearby? Did you keep track of this for longer, and if so, did anything more happen?
TFS

Bibhav Behera
22-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi Abhishek,
There were quite a few ants around. This particular ant held on for the 10-15 minutes I was there and just wouldn't let go. After that I started getting bitten and moved from the place.

Joshi Bhavya
23-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Poor Forgy... Well spot and captured. TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
25-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Nice record. It is interesting how much happens in the natural world. Just that we fail to observe. Small size of the ant didn't deter it from attacking a large species. There can be lot of interpretations and inspirations..