PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Rocks Archipelago

Abhishek Jamalabad
28-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Had been on a one day trip to a small island group of islands called the Oyster Rocks archipelago, 11km off the coast of Karwar, Karnataka. Found that the place is a treasure trove of wildlife- sighted three adult white-bellied sea eagles, one juvenile and two nests (among other birds); humpback dolphins, and a family of four Smooth-coated Otters.
This image is a view of the islands from the lighthouse on the central island.

Canon 500D, 18-55mm IS
SS 1/800
Av 13
ISO 800
Near full frame.

Thanks, C&C awaited.

Mrudul Godbole
29-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Lovely landscape. I liked the way the tip of the island turned to the left and points to the group of rocks in the middle. Good to know you found a "treasure island" with so many rare species. Why ISO 800? Look forward to more from these islands. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
29-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I agree with Mrudul's comments. I think a lower ISO/lower shutter speed would have been OK. Was it a tough to climb up? May be slightly more space at the right would have been great. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you both.
The high ISO was an error from my side :o. Had set it high to capture the otters, of which I managed only a couple of record images. (Had the camera with the 100mm in my bag as I was climbing rocks at the time, and the otters had gone a little too far by the time I got to a stable position and ready to shoot). Sabyasachi, the climb was not tiring, the high ISO had nothing to do with it. Photography at the lighthouse is prohibited, but the kind keeper allowed me a few shots.

Bibhav Behera
30-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Abhishek,
Is this the island we had seen from the distance?
Looks like you had a lovely time. The climb sure seems like fun. I like the composition here. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
30-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Bibhav: Yes, this is the island at the far left of the view from the beach.

Roopak Gangadharan
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Good image Abhishek.I like the compo.You seem to have had some good sightings.

I didnt know smooth coated otters are found so far from the coast. More over the island seems to be bare of vegetation. I have seen them in estuaries and backwaters but not in the sea. Do you have any info on their presence in marine habitat like this one?

TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
12-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Roopak: Smooth-coated otters do live in marine habitats as well. It wouldn't be a problem for them since they don't need to specifically adapt to sea water. I had read that they don't reside at an island location permanently, but migrate along the coast from island to island.
Is there any other otter species (a specifically marine one) in our region that the ones I sighted could be? The record shot unfortunately lacks details that could help in ID. As far as I know, the only exclusively marine species is the Sea Otter Enhydra lutris, which is found only along North Pacific coasts.