PDA

View Full Version : drowned camera

Kaling Dai
01-04-2012, 08:15 AM
this morning while trying to click water droplets falling in a bucket of water, my tripod which the camera rested on gave way and 7D with 100 mm f2.8 L IS fell into the bucket. i lifted the camera with tripod as it was dripping, meanwhile i have it sun dry, battery removed & lens detached. it was my carelessness but in a way i consider it as a photographing hazards. pleases advise. thanks & regards. kaling.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Kaling,
I hope the internal circuit is not damaged. Did the camera get completely drowned?

Or just the front portion of the lens got immersed into water?

Good thing is that you have taken out the battery. Don't switch on the camera till it is completely dry. If there is no sunshine, then keep it inside rice (raw not cooked). Rice is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture.

Don't switch it on for two days. I estimate that this will take at least two days. Send me your number. I will call you.

Sabysachi

Kaling Dai
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Kaling,
I hope the internal circuit is not damaged. Did the camera get completely drowned?

Or just the front portion of the lens got immersed into water?

Good thing is that you have taken out the battery. Don't switch on the camera till it is completely dry. If there is no sunshine, then keep it inside rice (raw not cooked). Rice is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture.

Don't switch it on for two days. I estimate that this will take at least two days. Send me your number. I will call you.

Sabysachi
Thank you Sabyasachi. it got drowned to the bottom of the container, about 20 litres of water. i fished it out from the bottom. after sun dry i switched it on with a canon lens but it refused with error 20 so i thought it was done for. i felt bad for i can't think of going without a camera even for a day. later in the evening i attached a 50mm f1.8 lens and switched it on and to my delight it responded. i took shot of half moon now visible in the sky it came out, i think fine. pl see the upload. macro lens that dived with 7D still seem to contain some vapour in it,hopefully it gets well too. 7D didn't let me down this time even after diving to the floor just as James Cameron who did the other day. thank you once again for your concern and prompt remedial advice. three cheers for 7D. kaling.

Mrudul Godbole
02-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow...good to hear that the camera and lens are in a good condition. I read your post yesterday and didn't know what to say, as I can imagine what you might be feeling. The details look fine, so seems it is working fine. Congrats..!!

Sabyasachi Patra
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Great to know that your Canon 7D is now working after taking a dip. There would be some condensation inside the lens. Wait for it to dry down. This speaks volumes about the build quality and enviromental sealing in these cameras. Kudos to Canon!

Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
15-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Greatly relieved to hear the good news Kaling. I'm sure you won't send it diving again :p. Take care.