PDA

View Full Version : River Tern

Manasi Chaphalkar
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Hi,
I spotted this one in Ranganthittu last month. The spotting was pretty good as this is the nesting season for various species.It was a very good experience for me as this is my first birding and first use of my new Canon gear. I was confused a lot while taking pics as so many birds at the same time and whom to capture in lens.. :) was pretty excited and also satisfied as i did spend lot of time just studying them instead of clicking. Still sharing some pics with all of you.
I know the pics are not perfect and as these are my first pics there will be lot of corrections too..For this one the light was very harsh as i did boating in the harsh heat of afternoon :(..so pics are over exposed.
This River Tern was nesting closely and guarding its baby. Within a fraction of second when i was unaware, its partner came with food (fish) for the baby and in a second the the baby had it :) . This happened in just few seconds..was lucky enough to witness the feeding. Will share d pics of feeding soon.

Exif details
Canon 550d wid 70-300mm. Mode-A
F/8 , 1/500sec, ISO - 640 , Focal Length 300mm
C&C most welcome..

Regards
Manasi

Rajeev Khanna
06-04-2012, 08:15 AM
the picture looks great

Manasi Chaphalkar
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
I would like to state here that i took this pic from handsome distance was not nearby the bird to disturb its activity of any kind. If the admin feels i should not post this pic kindly let me know i will remove the same.

Regards
Manasi

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Nice shot. I like the poses. Had you noticed the chick and composed accordingly, or is this cropped for the composition? Agree about the harsh light. You could try to recover the whites, not sure whether they are burnt.
Look forward to more. TFS

Manasi Chaphalkar
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Abhishek

Its not cropped and i was focusing on River Tern. Did not compose in a particular way to include the chick.Before clicking the chick couldn't be seen but at the time of clicking it suddenly moved its head up when it spotted another River Tern getting fish for him.. :) and i got this pic..

Sabyasachi Patra
10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Manasi,
This species is a kind of fighter and makes its annoyance known if someone comes closer. Once I had seen a river tern chasing away a painted stork when it came to drink water in a spot that was closer to its nest.

If you move the boat slowly towards them then they will become comfortable. Do you have wider compositions with a larger portion of the rock? Look forward to more images from your first birding trip with your new camera.
Sabyasachi

Manasi Chaphalkar
12-04-2012, 09:28 PM
This is another image i have.