PDA

View Full Version : Indian roller

Prem Sagar
11-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I had visited Kanakpura on Saturday. I clicked this Indian roller there. This is a heavy crop.

Exif:
Mode: Aperture priority
Shutter speed : 1/400
Aperture : f8
ISO : 200
Focal length : 300mm (450 equiv on 35mm)
Camera : Nikon D90 with 70-300 VR lens
White balance: Auto
Metering : Matrix metering

Pls point out mistakes. How would you have shot the same picture?

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Cheers,
Prem

Sabyasachi Patra
12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Prem,
The composition is good. The heavy cropping is evident as the quality has deteriorated. Light was also a bit harsh. Try this in better light. Also, in number of places you will get frame filling shots of the Indian Roller with your 70-300.

I would suggest that rather than trying to aim for frame filling images by cropping, try to create environmental portraits. Most of the people try to create frame filling shots. So they acquire super teles. Then they get fed up and decide to try environmental images with short and intermediate lenses. So why not do that when you have a 300mm?

It is difficult to create a good composition in environmental portraits due to number of distracting elements. I would strongly suggest to hone your skills in that, and also crawling and stalking skills. To get more ideas, I would strongly suggest to look at the animal in environment category photos in BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition. You will find the link in announcements section.

Thanks for sharing. Keep trying.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

AB Apana
13-05-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm entirely in agreement with Sabyasachi. Try for a different crop or for an environmental shot. The loss of quality here is excessive.

Apana

Prem Sagar
13-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi and Apana for your wonderful comments.

Next week, I will try to get a few environmental portraits. True that everyone wants a frame filling shot.. I guess it tends to become monotonous after some time.

It is good to try different things. Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,
Prem