PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Wagtail!!!

Murugan Anantharaman
16-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Spent the weekend in the outskirts of Mumbai in my cousin's village. Quite a few birds I could manage to see but I wasnt that well prepared. Still could manage a few shots. I am confused with the ID of this one, seems like a Yellow wagtail but also seems like a Grey wagtail. Experts please assist here.

Nikon D3100,F/5.6,ss 1/250,300mm.cropped for composition.

Saktipada Panigrahi
17-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Good image.The bird appears* to be Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava Race: melanogrisea).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

*I am not an expert

Sabyasachi Patra
17-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Good to know that you had good sightings in your village. Most of the times due to destruction of habitat, the birdlife in these villages are dwindling.

I am fine with the angle because in this case a lower angle would have resulted in the vegetation blocking your view. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
17-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Agree it is a yellow wagtail. I think a horizontal composition would have been better in this case. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
18-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Guess it is better to leave it to the experts :D, but does seem like yellow wagtail to me as there seems to be some yellow on the wings. another tip wud be the colour of the legs (also not very clear here) if its is fleshy coloured then it is a grey. if black/ dark it is yellow wagtail.

TFS
Roopak

Anand Madabhushi
18-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Very good image. I see similar birds with yellow belly that I was thinking was an oriole (correct the spelling if I am wrong).

These birds are (i) tiny and (ii) always moving. I see grey wagtails in plenty every day. Only once did I get a good eye level perch......the first time I sighted them.