PDA

View Full Version : IndiaWilds meet 2012

Sabyasachi Patra
20-04-2012, 11:28 PM
On popular demand, I am creating a thread to discuss an IndiaWilds meet.

In the past, we had gone to various national parks with 2-3 jeep loads. I guess now we have to put in some more effort and conduct a meet. However, I would still like to keep the number of participants at a manageable level.

Month/Date:
We are now at the end of April. For the meet we need to give atleast 2 months or 3 months notice, so that members can book their tickets well in advance and plan their schedules. So when do we go? The dates will influence the choice of place.

Most of the parks are closed from July to Oct. Some like Corbett closer earlier.

Place: Where do we go?
We have been visiting the premier national parks. Do we go there? Or we can plan for some other place.

One of the ideas is visit a place like Agumbe. It would be comparatively cheaper than the bigger national parks.

It is comparatively easier to organise meet in places like bandhavgarh, ranthambhore, kabini, bandipur etc.

Personally I would prefer a place with good connectivity so that we don't spend more time in travelling.

Look forward to your inputs.
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
21-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Sabyasachi,

Good to see this thread. I was waiting for this.

I agree that sufficient time needs to be given; I think about 2 months time is ample. Calculating from now, 2 months would mean that we are almost at the end of the season and giving a little leverage, in all practicality, most parks will be closed.

This brings us to the options that we can consider. While Agumbe sounds a good idea, I'm afraid that the incessant rains (if at all monsoon sets in strongly) may not leave us with a very pleasant experience. The other options would be:

1. Tadoba (I'm guessing that a part of the jungle will remain open even after the June 30th). While easily accessible, the one disadvantage will be that we will spend almost 8 hours of day time in the jungle leaving very little time for members' interaction.

2. Bandipur/Kabini: Of the two, kabini will be my preferred place. Even during rains, I have heard of some amazing wildlife encounters, and the large campus of JLR will be just about right for members to spend quality time together. Bandipur too will be good, but I am not a fan of the relatively more cramped JLR property there.

3. BR hills (K Gudi): As you must be very much aware, the JLR property here gives a fantastic jungle experience. How easy it will be for members to travel here, I am not sure as there aren't many bus services from Mysore.

There are so many other places, but I don't want to make the list appear long. Look forward to more opinions and hope we will be able to fix the precise dates very soon. One set of dates I can think of are June 22-24 (Fri-Sun), and that will give us 2nights/3days at the jungle with 4 drives.

Regards

Supreet Sahoo
21-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Good that the thread has now officially started. The biggest and probably the only roadblock for this would be the timing. With April almost coming to an end and if we are talking about a 2 month gap before this is done my best guess is that either TATR or Kabini would be the ideal choices that we can make if people are really expecting good sightings. These 2 places would be really good hosts during that time.
But for more than 1 reasons I would probably suggest BR Hills/Kgudi – this park is open throughout the year. Since it is located in a rain shadow area they will only receive their share of showers during oct-nov when the monsoon recedes. That makes this place pleasant even during June-Sep. The place is great for both mammals and birds. One can shoot a lot of birds/insects and even some mammals while they are still in the resort.
Conveyance could be an issue but since a lot of people will travel from Bangalore we can hire a 20 seater (which in fact will be more cost effective than driving our own cars and members get to spend more time together). We can plan the whole thing ex-bangalore or ex-mysore.
This would a great opportunity to meet the members and I will look forward to the final plan.

Regards
Supreet

Ashok Sorout
22-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I am pleased to see this thread. I will have a chance to meet many IW friends there.
For people like me those who are staying in Delhi Ranthambore and Jim Corbett are in close vicinity.
Corbett I have visited for at least 6 times but never had tiger sighting.
I am open for other locations too.
Another option can be GIR.

Steve Lockett
23-04-2012, 01:35 AM
No chance of me attending a meet up as my visa has run out now after my last two visits, but I have a suggestion for you Southerners. I was just at Jungle Retreat in Mudumalai, it would offer a basic, but cheaper and more wild alternative to JLR.
Plenty of stuff right in the site like langurs and chital and any number of birds like shrike, bulbuls and Tickell's Flycatchers. Also good chance of wild boar, elephants and possibly even leopards coming into the camp.
They also run camera trapping if you want to get involved and have all the facilites to allow evening shows of pictures.

Dipankar Mazumdar
23-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Dear All,
Great Initiative !!. It would be great to chat up with all members, with maybe a couple of Technical session thrown in as an additional bonus.

May i suggest The Black Buck Sanctuary at Tal Chaper, Distt CHURU, Rajasthan. A great place to bird,with a remarkable story of a turn-around in a short frame of time.

One of our members Anand sachdeva ("Anu" to all and sundry ) has taken the Forest Rest House in the Sanctuary on Lease on a PP model for the next 5 years. The FRH has 6 double rooms + a few dorm type accommodations that can be created. A large conference room also exists in the property.

The only flipside is that it is now( upto july) oppressively hot and the nature on the land makes it in-accessible during and after the monsoon. But September or thereabouts, the grassland turns green and is a sight to behold. For the migratory species, November onwards is a better time.

Talchaper is accessible by a Night train from Delhi, reaching early morning and vice-versa. This can be eminently done on a Friday, Saturday Sunday format. So if members from the south of India can arrive by 8:00 PM at New Delhi on a Thursday, we could catch the night train from Gurgaon arrive early morning the next day at Sujangarh/ Ratangarh, spend the day and the next, catch the sunday afternoon train, reaching in the evening at Delhi Cantt, in time to take the late evening flight to their respective destinations.

Of course if this seems too far-out, we could always plan the 2013 meet in February at this location.

Cheers
Dipankar

Roopak Gangadharan
23-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Nice to see everyone getting into the planning act. I think if the 'when' is decided the 'where' might become easier to choose. Supreet seems to have point on BR hills.Tadoba sounds good as well.

Regards
Roopak

Bhargava Srivari
24-04-2012, 09:46 AM
It didn't strike me earlier, but the JLR property in Bhadra tiger reeserve may be just the right place for a leisurely meeting!

Cheers

Hymakar Valluru
27-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Dear Sabyasachi,

From my perspective its a great learning opportunity for me and i would love to be there when and whereever this event happens.

Do let me know if i can be of any help for conducting this event.

Thanks and Regards,
Hymakar

Sabyasachi Patra
27-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I think the earliest is 6th-8th July. So members will have 2 months to do their travel plans.

Start 6th Morning and back on 8th evening. So lets freeze the dates and then examine the locations.

There are few options for locations:

1) If it is BR Hills, then start 6th morning to BR Hills from bangalore and start back from BR Hills on 8th afternoon.

2) I am open to Tadoba as well.

3) Steve has given a suggestion of a resort in Mudumalai. We can examine that.

If there are other suggestions, please let me know.

Sabyasachi

Sucheth Lingachar
28-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

I heard from the source that Tadoba is closed from 2nd week of June...

V S Sankar
28-04-2012, 08:31 PM
An INWians meet sounds exciting.Here memebers seems to have discussed all popular destinations.

In my opinion Silent Vally is a good destination.Its about 2 hours drive from Palakkad(3 hours from Coimbatore).But the chances of sighting tigers and leopards are remote.But silent vally epitomises conservation efforts of nature lovers.But July it rains in Kerala but not on all days(But you wouldn't know that day in advance!

Another suggestion is Munnar with Eravilkulam and Chinnar wls nearby.Now Eravikulam is open to special trekking in the park with chances of seeing the Nilgiri Tahrs in close proximity and watching some Neelakurinji flowers(Left overs or what is remaining from the last flowering season).

I have stayed in a hotel called Deep Jungle in Mudumalai but it was not very comfortable as it is inside the Mudumalai town.

When we have large groups, interactions may be more important which can be done inside the comforts of a hotel.

If the dates can be postponed to Aug,it may be ideal to keep it in Kerala.
Its only my suggestion as I would like to be there whenever and wherever it is held.

Regards

Bhargava Srivari
29-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Sabyasachi,

6th-8th July sounds alright. One thing that came to my mind was whether it would be possible to encose the details of the members meeting in the upcoming immediate Indiawilds newsletter, so that the information will be conveyed to a larger section of our members. Once that is done, I think the dates can be frozen, and the place can be fixed.

I too have heard from a few guides in tadoba that the park may remain closed during the rains (from the end of June and not second week), so Tadoba as of now doesn't seem like a viable option. BR hills will be good, as will be kabini.

Regards

Krishnadas N Mallya
30-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I feel really excited to have found this thread.

It will be a great learning curve for a starter like myself. Though I do not have enough artillery to match others, I still guess that it will be a good learning tour for me.

I would also like to vote for postponding it post rain schedule(reason for it would be the hope that I may be able to buy a lens by then :) ). Once this meet concludes we should fix one for the next year and possibly in the summer when we get most chances of sightings.

I have a question, can I bring one or two friends along?

Please post details, I really hope it is going to be in the southern part.

Thanks
Krishnadas N Mallya

Rajan Kanagasabai
30-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi all

Parambikulam would be a nice place for a group like this one. All the tented acco at the Eco care center can be booked (around 5K for 2 including all meals) and a nice place for treks etc. . . .

regards
Rajan

Ashok Sorout
30-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Please Declare the dates and timings so that I can book the flight and apply leave accordingly in my office.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Considering the interest of members, the time of the year, I think it is better to go to Kabini.

Last year I had evaluated going to Parambikulam. However, it will take a bit more time to go there. Though it would be cheaper.

The plan is:
6th July Morning start from bangalore: Early morning start. We can swing by Ranganathittu.
Reach Kabini before lunch.
Safaris/boat rides on 6th afternoon, 7th morning and evening and 8th morning.
Check out after morning safari.

Depending upon number of members, we will do a mini-bus for to and fro transport. Out station members can plan for late evening flight/train on 8th July.

Kabini has got a conference room and ample space.

Mail at administrator@indiawilds.com as early as possible. Kabini gets filled up fast.

We will collate all details and do one group booking.

Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Sabyasachi,

Thank you for taking the decision without too much deliberation. Please also mention a specific date before which members are to send in their details to the email id you mentioned, so that there will be no further hindrances in completing the bookings.

Regards

Sucheth Lingachar
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Sabyasachi Patra,

Nice that u have taken the decision and confirmed the dates so that the members can plan. please let me know what and all details that the members should send in the mail and by when.

Thanking You,
Sucheth S L

Mrudul Godbole
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
It would be good if members email within a weeks time i.e by 8th May mentioning their contact numbers (to contact if required) to the following email id -

administrator@indiawilds.com

Thanks

Supreet Sahoo
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
If its one of the jungle lodges would it be a good idea to discuss a group booking (which might work out to be cheaper than us booking individually?? ) Just a thought, suggestions welcome :)

Murugan Anantharaman
02-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Nice to know that things are getting finalized.
Sabyasachi/Mrudul: Please let us know if we have to wait for a week till nominations come in, to book tickets or can we go ahead right away? Also, if we have clarity of pickup points from bangalore, outstation members can book hotels/accomodation near by (if required).

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Murugan,
You can book the flights now. We will wait till 7th to finalise on the number of people, bus etc and then will ask you guys to individually transfer the money. We will suggest cheaper hotels nearby, so that it will be easier to be close by and no loss of time in the morning.

Supreet,
The vehicles are through JLR. So it doesn't make sense to stay at other places. Nevertheless we will examine the feasibility within a day or two.

Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
02-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Personally, having stayed at 4 different resorts in kabini over the last few years, my 20 odd experiences with JLR have been the best, so my vote will be to JLR :)

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2012, 10:24 PM
We can't wait for another 7 days, as the cheaper tented accommodations have already gone. It came as a shock. Anyone who wants to join us in the IndiaWilds meet should confirm by tomorrow by email at administrator@indiawilds.com as we have to book the rooms.

Supreet Sahoo
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Ofcourse Sabyasachi sir, when in karnataka it cannot be anything other than the JLR. I was just talking about group booking the rooms for everyone together. Will wait for the final take on this.

Supreet

Kaustuv Chatterjee
19-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Just saw this thread for the 1st time now....wish all of you who are going a great time! perhaps will make it in the next one

Murugan Anantharaman
18-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Sabyasachi/Mrudul:
I'm afraid to say that I would not be able to make it for the Indiawilds meet. I have an urgent business trip because of which I would have to travel during that period. Sorry for the delayed notification. Please let me know incase there's a cancellation/amendment charge involved for the booking done. I will transfer that amount as soon as I am intimated about it. If this opens up one slot then maybe someone who wanted to come but responded late can utilize. Please let me know the repercussion of this cancellation. Thanks-Murugan