PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Cuckoo - A Portrait

Anand Madabhushi
25-04-2012, 09:14 AM
One of the two sighted yesterday.

TV Mode 1/400; f8; ISO 400; 100-400@400

Bhargava Srivari
25-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I would prefer a vertical image so that the entire bird could be covered. The eye portion has come out very well. I should sometime go along with you to see this bird; I've never photographed one so far.

tfs

Rajeev Khanna
25-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Nice portrait of the hawk cuckoo

Roopak Gangadharan
25-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice eye contact.

TFS
Roopak

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Nice portait.Fine details.This is Common Hawk Cuckoo (Hierococcyx various).Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S.:The other one will pose before you for a portrait very soon.Then you may compare these two images.You may have to try hard to find out which one is calling '-pee pee ah-' or '-brain fever-'.That one is the Male.The call is most important for ID and is conclusive.

Mrudul Godbole
25-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Lovely eye contact. Nice details and catchlight. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Anand Madabhushi
26-04-2012, 03:54 AM
I have posted one image of the hundreds
I have shot. If I were you, I would be asking
"do you have a vertical shot"?

I would prefer a vertical image so that the entire bird could be covered. The eye portion has come out very well. I should sometime go along with you to see this bird; I've never photographed one so far.

tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
26-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I have posted one image of the hundreds
I have shot. If I were you, I would be asking
"do you have a vertical shot"?

I agree with you Anandji.
Bhargava, it is important that Anandji has pointed this. Communication over internet is impersonal, as we don't see each others gestures, intonations etc, so it is very important that we choose our words carefully.

When someone says "I would prefer this" or I would prefer that, it indicates that either the person is proclaiming himself to be an expert or is just arrogant.

One can always use the words like "you may consider ......" or " a vertical orientation would strengthen the overall......" etc.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Anand Madabhushi
26-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally by Patraji
One can always use the words like "you may consider ......" or " a vertical orientation would strengthen the overall......" etc.
Unquote

Patraji, this forum belongs to so many members
as such it is imperative to understand sensitivities
and sensibilities. One can always learn from
the replies posted by other members. It is a pleasure
to be commented upon in IW which are very objective
and educative. Every author has his own creative ideas and
the other authors contribute for improvement without affecting
the author's creative freedom.

I thank you for appreciating my point of view. Members
like Saktida, Roopakji, Muruganji and Mrudul to
name a few, are very proactive in their observations. In fact I keep
in mind Mrudul's tips while I compose these days.

Regards

Anand

Anand Madabhushi
26-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Mrudul

You had, in reply to my post dated 18.4.2012 titled "Indian Roller 2", observed

"while composing if a small portion is getting cut, you can try to compose in such a way that the subject looks complete, maybe like including the bird till just before the tail starts. So the image looks complete".

Your observation was on my mind while I composed this image on 24.04.2012.

Though I had all the time...4 minutes and 22 seconds.... with the subject, at the back of my mind I was aware he/she can fly away at any time. I changed the f values in my images.

And I think I have an issue to over come in getting the full tail....move back or zoom out. In about 10 images where I wanted the full bird I lost out on the tail by a fraction.

I am learning......

Anand