PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsbile Act!#1

Praveen Siddannavar
02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
We were returning from Jirna gate (Jim Corbett) after the evening safari and on the main road that is considered buffer zone within the Corbett Tiger Reserve, we noticed from a distance that a heard of ~ 25 elephants that also had 4-5 calves, were just about to cross the road. I asked Raju our Gypsy driver to stop and give enough space to the elephants to cross. However what I noticed on the other side is seen in the image, two young men had seen the herd of elephants, parked their bike and stood so causally to photograph. It would have been a big disaster had one of elephants would have attacked. We have heard of elephants attacks time and again that has led to deaths of humans, but not sure still some people don't understand and risk their lives.

I am sharing this image to create awareness to keep safe distance while passing through forest areas and never off board from your vehicles.

I shot this image late evening at 6:45pm using a telephoto lens (500mm)

ISO 3200 Av 4 Tv 1/100, Full frame, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 500mm
Date 13th April 2012 @ 6:45pm

Mrudul Godbole
02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice record. This is definitely a big issue. I have seen lot of similar incidents near Bandipur. I would say it would be good to raise awareness not only for humans, but also for animals safety. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Elephants can run very fast despite their considerable bulk. I have been chased by elephants and looking at the speedometer, I can say that the speed of the elephant was much more than 30kmph. Only when the vehicle moved beyond 40kmph that we could pull away. And one should know that elephants can just crush and move through vegetation. So we don't stand a chance. This kind of behaviour is really irresponsible. For details on elephant behaviour during attack one should see this article:
Elephant behaviour during Attack - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862)

Elephant behaviour before charge:
Elephant behaviour before charge - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4664)

I have recorded many such stupid moments by people. Fortunately, the elephants are cautious and don't charge. I have seen them wait for hours to cross the road. Gentle giants. We should not fear them. We should respect them and give them space. I have seen people elbowing each other when they are on the bus before boarding an aircraft. If we need so much of space, then elephants definitely need more.

Sabyasachi

V S Sankar
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I have witnessed a similar situation near Muthanga and shared the photos.At that time a young tusker made a mock charge.Wild elephants particularly dislike two-wheelers.I dont know why.

I think when people enter forests they always expect a wild encounter.When that happens probably the adrenalin surge results in over confidence and prompting ordinary people to take undue risks......

Regards