PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsbile Act!#2

Praveen Siddannavar
02-05-2012, 09:37 AM
We were returning from Jirna gate (Jim Corbett) after the evening safari and on the main road that is considered buffer zone within the Corbett Tiger Reserve, we noticed from a distance that a heard of ~ 25 elephants that also had 4-5 calves, were just about to cross the road. I asked Raju our Gypsy driver to stop and give enough space to the elephants to cross. However what I noticed on the other side is seen in the image, two young men had seen the herd of elephants, parked their bike and stood so causally to photograph. It would have been a big disaster had one of elephants would have attacked. We have heard of elephants attacks time and again that has led to deaths of humans, but not sure still some people don't understand and risk their lives.

I am sharing this image to create awareness to keep safe distance while passing through forest areas and never off board from your vehicles.

I shot this image late evening at 6:45pm using a telephoto lens (500mm)

ISO 3200 Av 4 Tv 1/100, Full frame, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 500mm
Date 13th April 2012 @ 6:45pm

Mrudul Godbole
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Nice to see such a big herd crossing. The calves are nicely protected by the adults. How long were you in Corbett? Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Cute ones. It is always a pleasant sight to watch elephants. Unfortunately, their corridors are getting destroyed.

Roopak Gangadharan
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Nice documentation but sad to see this.....seems to a big herd. with the sumer coming to a close there are bound to be small calves in the herds and one needs to be extra careful. But then there is no stopping people like this. Almost every time I go to a reserve end up picking a tiff with someone or the other on the road. Mostly people listen and understand, but invaribly there will be some who want to show how brave they are...

TFS
Roopak