PDA

View Full Version : Draco-Display

Roopak Gangadharan
06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
The Southern flying lizard ( Draco dussumieri ) is common in the western ghats, its superb camouflage makes it almost invisible normally and the most likely way u wud spot one is either seeing it take off / land or by it Gular sac display.

Tried to highlight the flick of the flame like gular sac display by the male here. I have seen this display by competing males, by male and female as part of courtship display and also while feeding. It is also believed to aid escaping predators but I have not seen the sac being exposed while threatened.

500D, 55-250, 250mm, AE f5.6, ISO 400, SS 1/840 cropped image

Rgds
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice display of behavior captured. The vertical composition looks nice. Thinking a slight more brightness would be good. Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Good record. I have never seen one close to click. Since I normally don't crop, I don't click when the subject is far off. May be sometime I will be able to document this species well. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Nice image. Are you sure there weren't any females nearby? Wondering if you could open the shadows a little. Love the smooth green BG.
TFS

Roopak Gangadharan
12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi abhishek

In this case there was female close by. Infact I also got see them displaying togather and mating. I tried underexposing this image to highlight the flick of the gular sac.

Rgds
Roopak