PDA

View Full Version : White throated KF diving at BW Jacana chicks

Roopak Gangadharan
07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
The White throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis) is an opportunistic feeder. It is known to feed on insects, lizards, frogs, small snakes etc. I had sometime ago once seen it dive and carry off a little grebe chick, but was not able to document it. In 2010 during my stay at Mysore I saw a WTKF dive at Bronze winged Jacana chicks not once but twice. It was not successful in its attempt and the protective father chased it away. I got some record shots which Im sharing here....

The 1st dive, you can see the chicks on the left...

Rgds
Roopak

Roopak Gangadharan
07-06-2012, 08:00 PM
2nd dive.You can see the chicks on the right..

Roopak

Roopak Gangadharan
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
The father and chicks donot want to take any chances and leave the place...

Rgds
Roopak

Prasad Dingankar
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
NIce documentation..

Mrudul Godbole
09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Nice documentation. Had not seen a kingfisher going after chicks. Thanks for documenting this natural history behavior and sharing it.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
A bird which normally depends on insects,small reptiles and fish now targetting chicks, a rare phenomenon,nicely documented.May be the normal food chain is undergoing changes due to ecological factors.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Murugan Anantharaman
13-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Very nice piece of information through the images Roopak. The WB kingfisher seems to be an opportunist. Doesnt matter what the situation is it seems to be comfortable with what is available. A true survivor. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Roopak,
I haven't seen a kingfisher targetting chicks of any species. This is a very nice record and increases our collective understanding of this birds behaviour. Where did you click this?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
16-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Sir this was at Mysore .there is lake on the outskirts towards Nanjangud. I don’t know what it is called but a nice place for birding.

Rgds
Roopak

Hymakar Valluru
20-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Its amazing.. A small bird looking to grab a chick of almost its size.. look at the audacity ...If am right this place is a large pond next to the Mysore-Ooty Road.. If its the same place this is where i have clicked flight of few darters for the first time in May'12.. quality of image was poor due to harsh light.. i just wanted to click for my record ..

Atul Sinai
12-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Very well documented. Haven't seen something like that before. Thanks for sharing the valuable information.