PDA

View Full Version : Southern Coucal- Centropus sinensis parroti

Ragoo Rao
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Until now considered alongwith Greater Coucal, now it has been split to a seperate race with Featural differences.

Saktipada Panigrahi
11-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Lovely image.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S.:Greater Coucal:Centropus sinensis
:Centropus sinensis sinensis
:Centropus sinensis parroti

All these three placed under 'Greater Coucal' are found in India.The third one is seen in Gujarat,Karnataka, some other parts of South India,Sri Lanka.I am unable to understand whether you mean to say that all three sub-species are now divided into three different species according to the Scientific Name(s).

Ragoo Rao
12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Lovely image.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S.:Greater Coucal:Centropus sinensis
:Centropus sinensis sinensis
:Centropus sinensis parroti

All these three placed under 'Greater Coucal' are found in India.The third one is seen in Gujarat,Karnataka, some other parts of South India,Sri Lanka.I am unable to understand whether you mean to say that all three sub-species are now divided into three different species according to the Scientific Name(s).

The Greater Coucal- Centropus sinensis has been split in ( Rasmussen & Anderton 20005) and alongwith 16 other species are not elevated to Species status, because they are Provisionally split. They are only referred as Sub-species.
Centropus sinenis sinensis, is the Nominate race.( Greater Coucal)
Centropus sinensis parroti is the sub-species split.( Southern Coucal)
There is no third species.
These can be ascertained from the recent publication of Oxford " Birds of Indian Subcontinent" auhthored by Richard Grimmet & Carol Inskipp, Second Edition brought out last month.

Mrudul Godbole
12-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice image. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I do have the Rassmussen and Anderton book. However, I wonder why they keep on changing the classifications.