ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Illegal online turtle trade- anyone from Vizag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Illegal online turtle trade- anyone from Vizag

My friend Akshay Balakrishna spotted illegal online turtle trade happening on Quickr http://vizag.quikr.com/offering-3-to...d90654867ImgC2

The location is Vizag. Below is the add
    -----------------------
    Hi friends i'm having 3 tortoises for sale, if anyone wants mean u can contact me 8106094820 (or) 9885816428.
    -----------------------
    I was wondering how can we trap this guy. Need to get in touch with wildlife authorities in Vizag to get them rescued.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atul, I just now called up the VSPCA (Vishaka Society for Protection & care of Animals) (their website is www.vspca.org) & their founder Mr. Pradeep has already taken up the issue with the concerned authorities. Apparently, the person who posted this ad has been put under surveillance and to be nabbed red-handed at the appropriate moment.

It is disturbing to note that this online portal isn't even aware of soliciting illegal trade of animals. I suggest we take up the matter with this portal and also report it to the Wildlife Protection Society of India at the earliest. (Attention : Ms. Belinda Wright, email : blue@vsnl.com / wpsi@nde.vsnl.net.in).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Turtles are one of the highest trafficked in illlegal pet trade.

Ive shot a mail to traffic India (TRAFFIC India, c/o WWF India Secretariat, 172-B, Lodi Estate, N.Delhi 110003, India, Tel: (91) 11 41504786, Fax: (91) 11 43516200, E-mail: trafficind@wwfindia.net)

But i think the local conservation unit contacted by Vijay will be able to do more on this.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The post (offering 3 tortoises for sale) on the online portal appears in the "Pet Adoption" section. On whether keeping turtles is illegal in India, the Secretary of BSPCA Mumbai replies "In general keeping a single common turtle as pet is allowed. However, it is illegal to keep more numbers without necessary permission." Now that reasoning is beyond me.

As far as interpretation of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972 is concerned, there seem to be too many loopholes with respect to keeping Turtles as pets. Enforcement of this act is another story altogether.

Shall try to get updates from the authorities & keep you posted. However, I wonder to what extent is the website accountable for permitting sales of Turtles in the guise of pet adoption ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update

The Vizag based NGO is on the job and efforts are being made in the right direction. Apparently it seems that the exact identification of the species is a must to ascertain if it falls under the Schedule I or II of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act and peruse legal action on the seller. Here is an update from Vizag :

Dear Vijayji,

the species are not being identified yet even by the experts. I am again meeting them today. Some concrete evidence is needed before stepping in the house legally. Well let us move in surely for the future too.

Kind regards.

Pradeep Kumar Nath,
    Founder / President,
    Visakha Society for Protection and Care of Animals
    Member, AP State Animal Welfare Board,
    Co-opted Member Animal Welfare Board of India, Chennai.
    www.vspca.org
    www.facebook.com/vspca

Unquote

What remains puzzling is the total silence from the Online portal despite several attempts to evoke a response as to how could they permit anyone to post a sales ad offering animals (which might perhaps fall under the Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife Act) on their website. Aren't they equally responsible for this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Absolutely. The portal is liable for prosecution - whether they remain silent or not.

We also need to raise awareness, so that ignorant people don't tend to buy and encourage this trade.

Sabyasachi

Thread Information