Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reviews Required on Canon EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM

Hi Friends,
    I would like to get some opinion on Canon EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM from the enlightened member here. It's a new lens and is pretty costly too at 1.59 Lakhs, but extremely enticing since it would fetch almost wide angle as well as 300mm. And how about it's comparison with Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. I use a Canon 7D currently.
    Any help would be highly appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Trayambak, the Canon EF28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L is a good lens for travel photography but quality would suffer towards both extremes. Barrel distortion, at 28mm, is very strong.

Before choosing a lens it is important to consider what are you going to use it for. Can you let us know what kind of photography you are interested in, that would help us suggesting other options as well.

It's a good buy if you are not comfortable changing lenses.

Canon 100-400mm is a very good safari lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The 28-300 lens is primarily meant to give you a range from wide angle to telephoto range. However, except for shooting elephants, where you need to really move to wide end if the elephant is close to your vehicle, 300mm becomes less.

It is not easy to have a zoom with 10x range. Canon has tried that so you would find a few distortions. Personally, I will not use this lens, unless one is filming from wide to medium telephoto. The f5.6 at 300mm also means that you will have less light gathering ability.

100-400 is a good lens and is cheaper. Another option is to go for EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS II USM with a 2x TC. That will give you a range of 140-400mm. And when you don't need, you can take off the TC for a wider to intermediate focal length range.

A 70-200 f2.8 L IS II lens plus 1.4x TC will give you a lens that is f4 at the entire range till 280mm. So this combination will be better in terms of low light capability vis-a-vis the 28-300 lens.

Thread Information