ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Striped Hyaena article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Striped Hyaena article

We had discussed earlier to get more original content specifically written for IndiaWilds by various researchers, naturalists, conservationists etc. One such article on the ecology of the striped hyaena (Hyaena hyaena) by wildlife biologist R. Arumugam is now uploaded in IndiaWilds. Please check it here:

http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/wild...triped-hyaena/

Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thank a lot for a concise and very informative article Armugham sir.... some unique observations on the issue of man animal conflict.

I had once heard the laughing call of the hyena close to the Moyar road. Historically most scavengers including Hyenas have a negative image created by myths and folklore which has lead to their persecution and the critical role they play in maintaining the balance of the Eco system was ignored. But the modern day challenges which this species is facing are a totally different set and originate from the insatiable greed and intolerance of the human race and not from superstitions. A must read for all members

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Good beginning, Shri Sabyasachi.
    Many thanks to Shri R.Arumugham for taking up the project and sharing the
    informative study report on the striped hyena, the owner of most powerful bone-cracking jaws,which has not received much attention by naturalists.In seventies, in the Hazaribagh National Park,they were fairly common and sometimes seen during night safari.
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely article on the Striped Hyena. Hopefully a lot of misconceptions about them should go after reading this article. Hyenas are seldom liked as they scavenge and according to many dont look pretty. When I visited Africa earlier this year, the tourists who were on safari with me didnt show any interest when we spotted hyenas. This feeling needs to go. Hopefully more people should read this and educate themselves.

Thanks to Sabyasachi and Mr.Arumugham.

Thread Information