ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Candle Cassia flower on a rainy day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Candle Cassia flower on a rainy day

After winding up a 2 hour floral shoot on a lazy Sunday afternoon in a faint drizzle at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park Mumbai, I decided to drive down to the Film City (Aarey Colony) for my next session. The moment I paid toll charges & entered Film City, I came across a patch of wet marshland with striking wild yellow flowers blooming out of the weeds. I pulled over instantaneously, took my shots, came back to my car only to find a Traffic cop standing beside it. I tried explaining that I had pulled over for just a couple of minutes to get a shot of this flower & pleaded with him to avoid penalty for having parked by the roadside (although it wasn’t a no-parking zone). All my requests went unheard until he saw this image on the LCD screen of my 550 D. Guess what ? He was pleased as punch with the image and let me off without a fine !

I had to tone down the saturation/hue a bit on PP since the yellow seemed to be overpowering. On hindsight, I guess a slight tweak in the White Balance at the time of shooting might have produced the original colours better.

Canon EOS 550 D, Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II, FL 50 mm, Aperture Priority, Av 4.0, Tv 1/250 s, ISO 400, poor light & overcast condition, Ev.Metering, EC -1/3, handheld, 5% crop for composition otherwise full frame. C & C welcome.

Candle Cassia, a 6 - 25 feet tall, perennial shrub, has erect waxy yellow spikes that resemble fat candles before the individual blossoms open. The large leaves are bilateral - symetrical opposed and fold together at night. The fruit is a pod, while the seeds are small and square. The leaves contain chrysophanic acid & are reported to be sudorific, diuretic and purgative, being used in the same manner as senna. The leaves are commonly used to treat ringworm and other skin diseases. The leaves in decoction are also used to treat bronchitis and asthma. Because of it's anti-fungal properties, it is a common ingredient in soaps, shampoos, and lotions in the Philippines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice image. The insect on the flower makes it look very natural. The leaf going to the right makes the horizontal composition work. Without the leaf I think a vertical composition would have looked good. Thanks for sharing the detailed information.

P.S - Good to know the policeman was interested in photography .
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting story. Nice image of the flower. I like the bright yellow colour. Did you try a vertical composition?

Borders have their importance in prints. However, Uploading images without the borders will help in critiquing better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your kind comments Sabyasachi Ji.

Yes, I've a vertical compo as well (attached herewith) but from a different angle which captures the struggle of the pair of Carpenter ants to scale the peak. Couldn't avoid the distractions in the BG.

Cheers,

Vijay

Quote Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
    Interesting story. Nice image of the flower. I like the bright yellow colour. Did you try a vertical composition?

Borders have their importance in prints. However, Uploading images without the borders will help in critiquing better. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting story Vijay. The Aarey road has been notorious for various shady activities hence the police patrol. Lucky that he allowed you to go without a bribe. Once me and my cousin were photographing a greater coucal when a cop pulled up and refused to leave till we paid him a bribe .

Nice image Vijay. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information