User Tag List

Thread: Sambar's counter-attack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Sambar's counter-attack

Bandipur Tiger Reserve.

I had not posted this image before. This was an amazing experience where Sambars were counter-attacking dholes.

This image shows a Sambar (Cervus unicolor) counter attacking the dholes and trying to strike them with its foreleg. I had never seen that before. I wrote the detailed experience here: http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/wild...ing-wild-dogs/

The Sun had set over the horizon and there was very less light.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM plus EF 1.4x II TC ie. at 560mm, ISO 800, f4, 1/200, crop from left and bottom.

I hope one day I will be able to film a similar situation.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Natural History Moment well captured.... TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

An extremely rare documentation of the natural drama of the jungle. Here the dholes have so far not been able to isolate a sambar hind or young stag, and yet making a very determined effort. Excellent.Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that was an amazing moment captured, not only does it show a full blooded counter attack with its forelegs by the Sambar but also the desperate attempt by the dog to escape when it realised it was in the line of fire!

It reminded me of an encounter mentioned and illustrated with photos by Valmik Thapar between a sub adult tigress and a large sambar, in Ranthambore where the sambar manages to wrestle away and escape the clutches of the tiger.

Nature has her own way of amazing us.... Thanks Sabyasachi for sharing that moment with us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A fine natural history moment and excellent timing.... the force with which a sambar kicks is evident here.

While a lot of action happens near waterbodies esp in the summer months, I wonder if deer flee to the water purposefully or if the dhole force them into water bodies as ive seen many images and a couple of footage where they get cornered and caught in the water.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice moment captured................
    TFS
    Suraj.S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice write up as well sir. Like the diction... Dholes are called Chennayi in Malayalam and Tamil.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Roopak,
    In case of deer, it becomes difficult for them to escape out of water once cornered. Once the spotted deer is driven into water, the dholes are all around the waterhole and close the exit for the deer. So the cheetal has to swim from one end to the other and get exhausted. It then becomes an easy prey. So as a strategy it works well for the dholes to force the spotted deer into water.

The height of the deer is less than than of Sambar. So where the deer gets tired due to swimming, the Sambar can stand due to its height. However, the dholes have to swim and lose energy while the Sambar is standing in the water. So in case of Sambar standing in water, the dholes normally don't enter into water. So in case a person is watching such a scene unfolding before him and the dholes give up the hunt, accurate observations will reveal that the dholes have done a realistic assessment and left the scene. They too need motivation and during chase one can often see them motivating each other.

Thanks for the local names. Any idea why the dholes are known as chennayi in tamil and malaylam?

We need to build up database of local names, else these will be long forgotten. I believe, when our languages lose words, the die a slow death and with the death of our languages a part of us die too.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

In both languages Chennayi wud traslate to ' Red Dog '.

Absolutely agree on the need for creating a proper guide for local names of our Flora and Fauna. Infact there is a lot of ambiguity until one dwells deeper.... for example the word Meru (Small indian civet) is interchangably used for the Palm Civet in North kerala. A few discussions with some of the old timers and they very clear that two animals are seprate.One doesn't climb trees and the other is aboreal.The Palm civet has other names like Marapatti, Kalunni.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent documentation and timing Sabyasachi, great record. Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely image Sabyasachi. The attacking sambar looks huge and strong. Am sure the dholes would not want to take any chances. I read your story too, very nice piece of information. It almost seems it was waiting for you to reach in the morning for it to leave the water with the fawn. Jungle drama beautifully unfolded. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sabyasachi, thanks for revealing an amazing moment and behavior in our wild nature. Do you know what finally happened? Did the dholes prevail or the sambar?
    Also thanks for the rich discussion between you and Roopak. Indiawilds as a repository of Indian names and also perhaps stories forgotten myths and fables in our culture around animals would make for a super interesting read and record database. Also the calls...I'd encourage members to post calls...perhaps Sabyasachi a new section on sounds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Kaustuv,
    The dholes abandoned their attack as it became dark. They normally don't attack in the night. The sambars also left the water hole. However, the Sambar mother and fawn remained in the water and when I went back next morning, the mother and fawn slowly moved out of the water.

Your idea of wildlife sounds is interesting. If more people start sound recording, then we can create one section. I remember Hymakar recording the cheetal alarm calls using his mobile. However, a word of caution. When the wildlife is at a distance, we need to use better recorders and microphones to get good sound. However, even if the sound may not be professional quality, if it is audible, then it will help and increase our understanding. Especially in birds, where different species can be easily identified by their sound. Lets see if others are interested as well.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's a good suggestion Kaustav, section on calls will certainly be a great addition if the logistics allow. Request views of other members.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Ever since I saw this documentary on 16.09.2012, I have been wondering whether there has been any such incident recorded in the past by a naturalist.
    Many observers have recorded indifference of deer to the sight of Dhole when the latter are not hunting and hunting techniques of dhole. Only in one place I found two relevant lines.

"E.R.C. Davidar records two Sambar stags walking towards and dispersing a pack of resting dhole"-Krishnan has quoted from JBNHS 67(1):102-103 in one of his books.

The chronological record as evidenced by Shri Sabyasachi is unique. As a naturalist one should be a master storyteller, he will soon achieve that distinction.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 22-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Shaktipada ji,

I am humbled by your praise. I hope I can live upto your expectation. If my writings can change perceptions and influence people to save our wildlife and wilderness areas then I will consider my life well lived. Your words give me lot of confidence and motivate me to redouble my efforts.
    Regards,
    Sabyasachi

Quote Originally Posted by Saktipada Panigrahi View Post
    Ever since I saw this documentary on 16.09.2012, I have been wondering whether there has been any such incident recorded in the past by a naturalist.
    Many observers have recorded indifference of deer to the sight of Dhole when the latter are not hunting and hunting techniques of dhole. Only in one place I found two relevant lines.

"E.R.C. Davidar records two Sambar stags walking towards and dispersing a pack of resting dhole"-Krishnan has quoted from JBNHS 67(1):102-103 in one of his books.

The chronological record as evidenced by Shri Sabyasachi is unique. As a naturalist one should be a master storyteller, he will soon achieve that distinction.SaktiWild

Thread Information