ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: 150-500 mm Sigma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 150-500 mm Sigma

I am planning to buy a Sigma 150-500mm lens. So before buying this I want to know about this lens..... I will be using it for bird photography.
    Is it a good lens for medium range wild life photography?
    1. Quality of photos with this lens?
    2. Sharpness quality of this lens?
    3. Auto focus quality of this lens?
    4. I am using D90 body, so is it compatible with this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Deepjay,

Sigma 150- 500mm is slightly soft, and image quality suffers towards 500mm. I would personally not prefer to buy that lens.

If image quality is a priority then, NIKKOR 300mm f/4D IF-ED would be a good option. You may use an extender with that.

If you are looking for zoom rage than you can go for NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED.

It is always better to save a bit and spend on better glass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with Atul on 2 points.

1. The 300mm F4 is a great lens and couple with a 1.4x extender will give you amazing results. I have used it extensively when in Africa and got great shots. (I use a Nikon D7000)

2. 80-400mm is a very good lens as well but its a zoom lens and though is a good lens may not give results as good as the 300mm with 1.4x combination.

Costwise the 300mm+1.4x tc comes to about 91k INR and 80-400 92k INR ( from some reliable sources in Mumbai). However if you try to use a 1.4x extender on a 80-400 it would not give very good results unless you use narrower apertures. I would definitely recommend the 300mm+1.4x tc.

The sigma 150-500 is a lens which I have used a couple of times. My cousin has a D90 with a 150-500 and from the wildlife images he has been clicking since the last 3 years, the results have been very good. However, Sigma lenses have a quality problem on repetitive use, I have heard this from experts inclusive of Sabyasachi who have extensively used Sigma and do not recommend as compared to the lenses manufactured by Nikon(in your case).
    Last edited by Murugan Anantharaman; 01-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Thread Information