ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Female gaur and calf, Kabini

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Female gaur and calf, Kabini

Gaur (Bos gaurus) or the Indian bison are listed as vulnerable by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). A decline in the quality of habitat is one of the reasons.

Still further gaur are susceptible to diseases transmitted by domestic livestock and their numbers in the Niligiri Biosphere Reserve were decimated in the 1960s by rinderpest.

Gaur are found all the way from South India till Kanha. Although rarely aggressive there have been instances of people being chased by gaur. ERC Davidar writes about being badly gored by a bull gaur near Masinagudi. The t the bull had been injured in a fight with a tiger the previous night and Davidar speculates that his following the bull in the morning had irritated it. What stands out in this attack is that the bull waited for Davidar and ambushed him. After goring him and going away it returned not once, but twice, to gore him again.

EOS 40D, 500f4 + 1.4x converter, ISO 800, Aperture Priority, f5.6 @ 1/30. Focally challenged, but I carry this combo for cats.

Thanks for looking, c & c welcome.

Apana
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely one... beautiful image. no nits..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice image. Nice intimate moment. Even at 1/30 th sec it has come sharp. I would have liked a little bit more space at the left and right.

From my childhood days I have read lots of reports of Gaur's charging humans. One of Orissa's noted hunter of yesteryears, Gadadhar Ray was charged at by Gaurs. He had mentioned that he had to climb a tall tree and then fire to kill one of them after which they dispersed. One of my friends was on an elephant back in Mudumalai and a Gaur charged the elephant. I have never been charged by a Gaur though I have been on foot as well as crawled to move closer. I have a very healthy respect for them.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice moment photographed. Liked the composition. The feelings in the eyes convey a lot. Look forward to more..
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Superb shot, Apana! What a moment!

Off Topic: I'm a big fan of the Gypsy and must admit you have a fine looking specimen there. Enjoy the ride!
    Cheers
    Udai Bisht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AB Apana View Post
    Gaur (Bos gaurus) or the Indian bison are listed as vulnerable by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). A decline in the quality of habitat is one of the reasons.

Still further gaur are susceptible to diseases transmitted by domestic livestock and their numbers in the Niligiri Biosphere Reserve were decimated in the 1960s by rinderpest.

Gaur are found all the way from South India till Kanha. Although rarely aggressive there have been instances of people being chased by gaur. ERC Davidar writes about being badly gored by a bull gaur near Masinagudi. The t the bull had been injured in a fight with a tiger the previous night and Davidar speculates that his following the bull in the morning had irritated it. What stands out in this attack is that the bull waited for Davidar and ambushed him. After goring him and going away it returned not once, but twice, to gore him again.

EOS 40D, 500f4 + 1.4x converter, ISO 800, Aperture Priority, f5.6 @ 1/30. Focally challenged, but I carry this combo for cats.

Thanks for looking, c & c welcome.

Apana
    Apana, Wonderful image, what a bondage between calf and mother. perfect for a Mothers Day Portriat.

Ramesh

Thread Information