Thread: Mugger with bird droppings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Mugger with bird droppings

Crocodylus palustris

Ranganathittu

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens, EF 2xII TC at 222 mm, f7.1, 1/40, full frame image

The croc is not bothered by the bird droppings on it. It remains motionless for a long time with only the eye lid opening and closing to see when anything comes close by. When time comes it is swift enough to grab a chick that falls from the tree. I wanted to show the bird droppings on this muggers face. It was aware of my close approach and hence the open eye.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely documented. Their ability to remain motionless often leads prey into a false sense of security and when the time comes they can be lightning fast.

I like the bamboo (?) patterns in the background.
    Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice document.Fine details.
    Inquisitiveness makes some prey species vulnerable to such tactics. Its a marsh crocodile, so instances may be a very few.
    Classic example is leopard playing tricks with sambar. Same is the case of python with spotted deer.Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bibhav,
    Those are bamboo trees in the background. The crocodile was lying there motionless for a long time. The reason for creating a tight close up was to show the difference between the psyche of the crocodiles and us. The crocodile is not bothered by the frequent bird droppings. There are bird droppings not only on its head but also near its teeth. It is not bothered and is patiently waiting for an opportunity.

As opposed to this, I see people not even able to tolerate mosquitoes and flies while waiting for a tiger.

I saw a grey heron walking close to another crocodile and immediately its eyes opened but it remained still. And then the heron noticed the crocodile and moved away swiftly.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a Reptile, Never seen before like this, yes why should croc bother all this things. its just care for food.
    So close 222mm!!! you are in Boat??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice image. I like the story behind it. The crocodile's deceptively sluggish behaviour is certainly one of the most interesting hunting strategies in the animal kingdom.
    TFS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice one sir. Interesting topic as well. Although not a direct comparison I’ve seen birds defecating on a raptor with amazing accuracy while mobbing it and it seemed to work in disturbing the raptor. Maybe the scavenging ways of a croc make it indifferent to a more evolved sense of hygiene. I wonder what a tiger would do if a langur craps on it..... Can’t think of a prey species which has a better chance of getting way with that…..

TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information