contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Leopard/Kabini (Scar-faced male)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leopard/Kabini (Scar-faced male)

How important it is to maintain silence in forests and keep focused on every move? Here is another such instance, as we drove and covered most of the routes of Kabini backwaters but no sign of any pug-marks nor any warning calls. But I and my friends didn't lose hope, we kept looking around, a small clue can lead to a great sighting is what I believe in. As a thumb rule the movement of predators starts at dusk, the time was almost 5:45pm, the light was fading fast and we knew that we didn't have enough time to drive in the forest. We quietly drove towards the president road junction and stopped for a couple of minutes, it was silence all over and I could sense the feel of the jungle. After a while suddenly from a distance we heard chital alarm call & our driver muddu guessed that the call is from mastigudi chain gate. We drove towards mastigudi chain gate and the calls went even more loud. As we approached the gate and came on to the main road. We saw a group of chitals on our left giving loud alarm calls and all were looking towards the bush. It was quite evident that a cat was around. We parked our jeep on the main road, the national highway that leads to kerala. Since this road closes at 6:30pm the buses and trucks were in hurry and for no reason they were honking, while we were patiently waiting and hearing the alarm calls. All this drama was happening on the busy main road, it had been 5-10 mins of wait here and suddenly we spotted a leopard popping out of the bushes on our left, it was a male. This guy seemed quite bold, he came out in the open and was sniffing around and growling too. There was one moment when he went behind a tree, probably marked his territory by urinating and I was expecting him to come out and look towards us. That is what exactly happened and it was amazing to make some images under extreme low light. And he was none other than the popular Scar- faced male.

Camera - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon f4 500mm lens
    EXIF - ISO 3200 Av 4 Tv 1/40 sec EC - 0.3, Cropped
    Nov'12 - at Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Nagarahole, Kabini.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a very special sighting for us as one doesn't get to hear a leopard growl that often. And in fact this fella was growling very loud! A well made image given the circumstances; I think during the last one minute or so of this sighting I had gone all the way up to ISO 4000 to catch some record images.
    Bhargava

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice to see him again in good health after the rains. Its like a Hide and Seek game-image.Beautiful.

Leopards, it seems, may be gradually venturing into core tiger territories (where concentration of prey species is more) in tree forests where they can climb up to safety when alarmed. May be, they are facing severe pressure in fringe areas in most of the jungles.
    Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 11-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. Good eye contact. Nice to see he is doing well. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lovely image. I like the stare. I always love their eyes. May we see leopards in our wilderness areas all the time.

A bit of protection makes them bold. Also, it depends upon how many tigers and other predators are in that area. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice write up and a good image to go with it praveen. like the curious look.

TFS
    Roopak

Thread Information