ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: White eyed Buzzard???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default White eyed Buzzard???

Past weekend had been to Bhandup Pumping station, located between Nahur and Bhandup stations, next to the Eastern Expressway and could spot around 62 varieties of birds. Few new spotting for me were the White cheeked Bulbuls, Greater Spotted Eagle, western reef egret, green shank and this unusual one. Unusual as neither me nor my colleague had encountered it before and with its flight, size and overall features confused us as it was roughly the size of a Shikra and flew like one too, but was a bit lighter toned and the facial area was more like a juvenile kite. Though the initial encounter was a very brief moment when it flew past few short trees, but later we found it resting on a streetlight pole few metres away. We started walking towards it at a very slow pace so as to avoid it from getting distracted and panicing and finally could manage a few shots, which at that moment seemed good, but later, while downloading to computer, seemed to be a bit out of focus. This particular shot was the best among the shots, again not very sharp image though.
    I guess its a White eyed Buzzard, but would need confirmation from some experts.
    EXIF:
    Canon EOS550D
    Canon 55-250IS
    F/8
    1/2500
    ISO 400
    -0.3 step
    Aperture priority
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

certianly looks like a juv white eyed buzzard.

TFS
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice sighting. The flight pose is nice. Agree some more sharpness would have enhanced the composition further. Were you photographing with a single AF point or All point focus? While photographing birds in flight it is better to use all focus points, so that at least one AF point gets locked on the bird. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh, didnt know about that...had kept it on single focus at the centre. Next time onwards shall surely keep it on all focus points.
    Thanks for the inputs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely image Prajwal. I didnt know Bhandup pumping area had buzzards frequenting the place. I have spotted black and brahminy kites there. I think I will visit the place again soon. Its quite close to where I live in Mulund. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information