User Tag List

Thread: Making of - Leopards: The Last Stand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Making of - Leopards: The Last Stand

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that I have been working on a film titled "Leopards: The Last Stand". The film is an effort to document and highlight the plight of the leopard. I am now sharing the short Making of film "Leopards: The Last Stand" to give you a sneak peek.

I am using Canon Cinema C300 camera to film it. I have uploaded a HD (720p) version. So depending upon your net speed you can change the setting and view it. Once you click on the film, at the bottom there is a wheel. Click on it to change the resolution, based on your internet speed.

Please click on this link for more details it in the diary section of IndiaWilds (Non-members will be able to comment)
    http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/maki...he-last-stand/

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi
    Last edited by Sabyasachi Patra; 11-02-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added the link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mouth watering sir... some brilliant scenes , already watched it thrice since today morning...by when is it likely to be released.

Rgds
    Roopak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

There could not have been any better timing for making of the film on the most beautiful, power-packed mammal of our jungles and scrubs possessing such unpredictable variability.
    I have just seen some of its habits : behaviour brilliantly documented. Many more are definitely in store. I sincerely trust the film will make significant contribution towards human awareness for ensuring survival of this beautiful animal so as to enrich the lives of the generations to come.
    Best wishes to Shri Sabyasachi and his team.SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some very enticing snapshots in the teaser. Can't wait for the real thing!
    All the best!
    Regards,
    Bibhav Behera
    www.bibhavbehera.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful Video and Beautifully Captured.... Watched Yesterday
    All the Best Sir

Sucheth S L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic capture, great work and great sound. Enjoyed the documentary clip. Canon C300 with ISO 20000 amazing camera.
    All the best to Sabyasachi and team. Thanks for sharing.

aks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is shown here is a nice teaser... cant wait to watch the entire story. Just loved the nocturnal shots, too good.Is this film still in post production or you are ready to launch it? Is this shot in HD, I didnt get that feeling, maybe because of my laptop resolution.

Many congrats to you and the lady behind the scenes with camera 'B' -Mrudul . I really wish that the purpose of this film is realised and the message you are trying to send across is well received and recognized.

PS: I am seeing and hearing you in action for the first time Sabyasachi, I should say you have a slight south indian accent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw your note on HD view and settings, will do so accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dear all,
    Thanks a lot for your wishes. I am happy that you all like it.

The primary purpose of making films is to bring about change. I have realised that films have the power to touch people without they knowing that they have been touched and moved. That is the reason why we weep when movie hero or heroine die on screen. If we are half as successful as our mainstream films, then we can definitely bring about a lot of positive change.

After looking at the rough cuts, I felt we can make it more powerful. So I have ordered for some more equipment from abroad. I have pushed the deadline by two more months. Shooting in east, west, north and northeast. Not sure if I can cover any place in south. Hopeful to do a good job.

Murugan,
    After picking up lot of weight I think that I look like a South Indian goon. However, I never thought that my voice too has South Indian accent. I guess it is time I approach some South directors for a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very impressive indeed. As rightly said, motion pictures have deep impact on peoples mind, i am sure such work WILL achieve that impact. ...my best wishes.
    Dr.Jitendra Katre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excellent! my very best wishes for the sir & team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent work, waiting for the release. All the best !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely splendid work Sabyasachi Ji & can't wait for the complete version !

More than the amazing capabilities of the C300, it is your perseverance to raise awareness that stands out !

While destruction of habitats remains an unaddressed & often neglected issue in our country, I'm sure your dedication towards the mission of raising awareness on the plight of these beautiful creatures will drive a change as far as spreading the message of conservation is concerned. Thank you once again for leading from the front !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally I managed to see it today......

Its absolutely fantastic..... Hats off to you & Mrudul....splindid efforts... surely will create awareness about conservation.... eagerly waiting for the CD...

I whole heartedly wish all the very best for your endavours....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot. Absolutely bowled over by the responses. Championing the cause of our wildlife is a mission. However, there is also a selfish motive to it ie I feel since we are mortals, any day can be our last. When my time is up, I don't want to have any regrets that I didn't try to do my bit.

We need to be the voice of voiceless wildlife. Well our wildlife have voice, but we can't understand their language and perhaps with our arrogance as human beings, we call them voiceless. It is not a one man's job. Though Vijay says that I am leading from the front, I feel all of us have as leaders have to lead millions of people. Touching the lives of a billion plus population is not easy. It is not difficult either if we all try. To start with, please forward the links to the films, so that people can spend a few minutes to watch and learn. I have also now uploaded the "A Call in the Rainforest" film in the IndiaWilds Youtube channel. So you can ask people to check there or this link: http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/wild...he-rainforest/

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement and motivation. I am now back in Delhi for a couple of weeks before starting filming again.
    Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff! Great camera performance....is this Bera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leopards

Splendid photography Mr. Patra and may I say you are doing an exceptional and wonderful job in conservation.
    Terry from the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awsome and Hats off sir!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Gonsolvis View Post
    Splendid photography Mr. Patra and may I say you are doing an exceptional and wonderful job in conservation.
    Terry from the UK
    Mr Gonsolvis,
    Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. The India of your childhood days is gone. The wilderness areas that I had seen in my childhood days is also gone. Each year our wilderness areas are facing much larger challenges. I hope we can save our last remaining wilderness areas and wildlife. Not an easy job, however, it is possible if all of us put in our efforts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mr. Sabyasachi. I wish we could all get together and do something about these animals. Let me know if there is any forum or any other way we can support this cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The first step is awareness creation which we are trying to do and I expect everyone to help in that.

The second is saving the patches of land/landscapes where leopards are living outside the protected areas. We don't even know all such places.

We don't know the link between these leopards and the ones in the officially declared sanctuaries. There is movement. At times if the food supply is good, then leopards can remain glued to a place, give birth to offspring etc. Removing these leopards is not the solution. It is important to retain the tenuous link - the corridors between the officially declared sanctuary and reserve forests and these places. So when food is scarce, these leopards should be able to move back. Similarly it will help in genetic exchange. The challenge is the increased urbanisation and skyrocketing value of real estate. Buying up land in these areas and keep it fallow is the way to go. However, that needs really high amount of funding.

The Government is not even allocating the required funds for relocation of villages from core areas of Tiger Reserves. The current account deficit (of India) is sky rocketing. So we simply have to forget Government support. They are even loathe to declare new areas as sanctuaries.

So it has to be a private initiative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True absolutely. I wish I knew where to start. I know you are into conservation already, let me know what an individual like me can do and I will do my best. I know these animals are invaluable and I feel I should do something to save them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great effort. I believe some 93 leopards have been killed this year already. There should be a way to share these trailers on social media to spread the word further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default For sharing in social networks

Hi Paramvir,
    Everybody is free to share it in their social networks. The link is here: http://youtu.be/n-Yc5VNUN-o

I sure if everybody shares it, we can raise sufficient awareness.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Sabyasachi,

Thank you for the great work on Making of - "Leopards: The Last Stand". Your contributions make a real difference.

Cheers
    Debasis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Message from Bittu Sahgal, Sanctuary Asia

Dear Debasis,
    Your words are motivating.

I am also sharing the email from Bittu Sahgal of Sanctuary Asia.
    Dear Sabyasachi,

This is just to say that I have seen the short cut The Making of
    Leopards: The Last Stand."

I laud your purpose, patience and your skill.

Bittu

--

Bittu Sahgal,
    Editor, Sanctuary Asia
    ------

I have increased the scope of my film a lot and have been visiting many places of India. If any member knows of a place which needs to be covered to showcase either peaceful coexistence of human and leopards or conflict between human and leopards then please let me know.
    Sabyasachi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great job !! Mind blowing ! Loved your documentation !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks. The documentation continues in various parts of the country. I have taken a break of about a month or so to get some high end equipment which is needed. The reason is I have taken even a deeper dive. Its amazingly costly. Passion knows no reason.

While shooting this film, I have fallen down from a cliff but got saved, recovered from injuries etc and again back on my feet. I could have got washed away in Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary, if I had not chosen to come back the moment landslides started. Shooting will continue throughout this year. So the release will be only in next year. Will keep you all updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work Sabyasachi. It is not easy for nature also to wash away good guys. Congratulation for getting high end equipment. Get well soon and keep doing good job and good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sabyasachi you have to be lauded on the truly herculean task that you have undertaken Hope your documemtary is a huge success.My husband was posted in the army cantonment of Binagudi in west bengal 5 years back.The cantonment was regularly visited by elephant herds and there were also sightings of solitary leopards.There is a sanctuary called Jaldapara known for Rhinos about 30 km from this place .At the entrance to the sanctuary I was troubled by the sight of about 7-8 caged leopards. On enquiring I Learnt that these animals had been caught while straying near human habitation and their future was uncertain.I don't know if this information is of any use to you but I could not forget that image Why could not the leopards be released into the rhino sanctuary itself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should be...please speak to the Chief conservator of forest there...what u'v written disturbs... Let me know what the authorities have to say. Let me know who is the CCF or forest in charge there with the number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful....lest you be careless. These woods..... yet you have miles to go..before you sleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

As I have stated I had witnessed this incident 5 yrs back when my husband was posted in that region.I am presently staying in Hyderbad.I do not know if the practice of caging straying leopards still continues.Perhaps those staying there or familiar with that region could help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi Shyamala,
    Thanks a lot for this information. I haven't covered West Bengal. I have heard about the leopard rescue centre there, but haven't done much research on the conflicts in that area. I will definitely cover the tea plantations in that area. I am sure the army cantonment would be large with lot of tree cover for leopards there. Permission may be a difficult thing.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Thread Information