Thread: Gunshots return to gag lion roar in Amreli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gunshots return to gag lion roar in Amreli

Gunshots return to gag lion roar in Amreli
    Vijaysinh Parmar, TNN Feb 19, 2013, 04.32AM IST

RAJKOT: For most part of the year, it's only the roar of Asiatic lions that breaks the tranquility of Mityala Wildlife Sanctuary in Amreli district. But for the next two months, gunshots will rent the air, forcing the lions to run for cover.

Amreli district police started their annual firing practice near Khambha town, barely half a kilometre from the sanctuary. Till March 31, 950 cops will be firing not less than 30,000 rounds in this hilly area, which wildlife activists say is the natural corridor for as many as 15 Asiatic lions.

About 70 policemen of various ranks have to undergo the annual practice daily by firing 32 rounds each. This translates into nearly 2,100 rounds being fired close to the sanctuary.

"We have written to the concerned government departments to find an alternate firing range as this one is very close to the wildlife sanctuary, " said Vimalsinh Rathod, a wildlife activist in Khambha. In fact, one lions had preyed on a goat in a private farm which is a stone's throw away from the range.

"Wildlife experts say that there should not be any activity in the 10-km periphery of a wildlife sanctuary and government must declare it as a silent and eco-sensitive zone.

Deputy conservator of forests, Anshuman Sharma said that he will look into this matter.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I won't just blame the police for lack of understanding. I cannot single out any branch of our Government which understands the needs of our wildlife and wilderness areas. The forest department who is supposed to guards the interests of wildlife, have to be proactive. There is a role for the general public to act upon these issues and raise their voice.

The way rhino's are poached at the moment, we all know that at one go our lion populations can be decimated. We are not doing enough for saving our lions.

Thread Information