Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Disturbing news item: T17 missing

Alert over Missing Tigeress

JAIPUR: Tracking has been intensified at the Ranthambore tiger reserve to locate a missing tigress. The officials are a worried lot more so as T-17 is currently nursing three 11-month-old cubs.

According to the officials, T-17 or 'Sundari' has not been with her cubs for the past few days. But worries mounted when efforts to locate the tigress by the department also proved futile. "Sundari has not been with her cubs since the first week of March. Everyone was hoping that she would return but since that hasn't happened, the officials pressed the panic button," sources said.

Sundari is around seven years old and is from the last litter of the most famous tigress of the park Machli. Sundari was born in 2006 along with two other female cubs. 'Machli was called T-16 and the three cubs were T-17, T-18 and T-19. T-18 was relocated to Sariska and T-19 is still at Ranthambhore," sources said.

Initially, Sundari occupied the area near the lake after departing from her mother Machli. But later, a male tiger T-28 made her leave the place. She finally found her own territory between Kachida and Badlav. Now, the lake area, the most visited spot by tourists, is occupied by T-19.

"Four trap cameras have been set up at various areas since Wednesday night. We have also deployed 30 persons, especially to hunt her out. She is precious to us and her absence is extremely worrying. No one had informed me of her absence till now," said forest and environment minister Bina Kak who will be leaving for the park to monitor the tracking systems personally on Friday.

With the mother gone, the onus has now again fallen on forest officials to feed the cubs. Often baits are tied for the cubs though sometimes the cubs do share kills by their father. ``It is unusual for nursing mothers to suddenly desert their young ones. The mother stays with the cubs at least till they are two years," sources added.

``It is a serious issue and all efforts must be made to track the tigress soon," said Rajpal Singh, member, state wildlife board.

"The Badlav area is a sensitive zone as it lies on the border area of the park. The area has a history of revenge killing by villagers," sources said.

The Ranthambore reserve just saw the death of a tiger on March 19 when the carcass of T-37 was suddenly spotted by tourists. She is said to have died of internal injuries.

Source article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/19734524.cms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Poaching continues. The villagers in that area have historically been hostile. They had cut off the trees and denuded the landscape. In the early 2000s they had once invaded Ranthambhore with their cattle as there was no fodder for their cattle on the outskirts of the park.

Crores of rupees from NGOs goes towards the so called rehabilitation of a community who are into poaching. Whenever a tiger is poached, there is sudden jump in interest. However, no change happens in the ground. This is the state of one of our premier National Parks. Less said about our smaller protected areas.

T17 was exposed to tourist vehicles from her childhood days. She used to come close to vehicles. A few years back I had even seen one vehicle hit her when she jumped to her side, fortunately she got saved. I am not sure how she was killed, or if she was killed at all. However, I feel sad even with all the talk of saving the tiger, it is continuing to be killed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very sad news. I had got the chance to photograph her a lot in 2008 when I first visited Ranathambore, it was an amazing experience. As Sabyasachi has mentioned she was quite used to have people around her and I had got some extreme close-ups.

Even in 2008 there was lot of issues with poaching around Ranathambore. It is quite sad to know that she had 3 cubs and now it would be quite difficult for them.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Truly disturbed about the future of these majestic beauty. Unfortunately, the forest department is not that motivated. We need better resources and greater motivation on the ground, otherwise we will not be able to win the battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tiger cub spotted in Ranthambore National Park

Some good news, T17 was spotted...

Tiger cub spotted in Ranthambore National Park
    Last Updated: Friday, May 24, 2013, 23:27

Jaipur: A tiger cub has been spotted at the Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan's Sawai Madhopur district, taking the total number of cubs in the park to 23, and bringing cheer to wildlife enthusiasts.

"The cub of tigress named T-17 was spotted with her in Samili area here yesterday. It is nearly one month old," the National Park's Field Director, Rahul Kumar Bhatnagar said.

Besides the cubs, there are 26 full grown big cats in the Park, he said.

PTI
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the good news. Debasis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, she was really having babies... !!! That is fab news... Happy that nothing untoward happened to her...

Thread Information