Sharing a news article from ToI regarding the decision to declare eco-sensitive zone near Bhagirathi river and the Uttarakhand Govt.'s decision to oppose it.

CM Vijay Bahuguna opposes Centre's decision on eco-sensitive zone near Bhagirathi river
DEHRADUN: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna today strongly opposed the Centre's recent notification declaring a vast stretch of land from Gaumukh to Uttarkashi on either side of the Bhagirathi river as an eco-sensitive zone, saying it would adversely affect the infrastructure development projects in the area.
Bahuguna said several infrastructure development projects are in the pipeline in the region and the Centre's move will tantamount to stalling nearly all of them including construction of bridges, Border Roads Organisation's realignment work and flood control measures.
"The state cabinet will soon meet to discuss the negative fallouts of the decision and I will take up the issue with the Centre asking it to reconsider the move and thrash out a middle-of-the-road solution," Bahuguna said.
The Ministry of Environment and Forests issued a notification recently declaring 41 km area on either side of the Bhagirathi as eco-sensitive zone.
For complete details check the Source article: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/19698014.cms
---------

I do understand the need for infrastructure development- having been to Gaumukh last sept, I have seen the ravages of the multiple cloud bursts last august. But I also saw the massive hydro-electric projects coming up in the area. The thoughtless degradation of the river and the surrounding wilderness- the mindless felling of trees, and as a result ruining the beautiful area.

Tourism is one of the mainstays of any economy- and I completely endorse the need for making a place tourist friendly-- but it has to be carefully considered-!!!! development can be done while maintaining the ecology, I am sure....!!!

would like some thoughts here