ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Centre gives nod to tiger reserve status for Rajaji Park

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Centre gives nod to tiger reserve status for Rajaji Park

DEHRADUN: The Centre has cleared a proposal to grant the famous Rajaji National Park in Uttarakhand the status of a tiger reserve.

The proposal for elevating the status of Rajaji National Park as a tiger reserve sent to the Ministry of Environment and Forest about a fortnight ago has been approved, Principal Conservator of Forest (Wildlife) S S Sharma told here on Saturday.

There are at present 42 tiger reserves in the country.

Citing a communication received from the Centre in this regard, Sharma said the tiger reserve at the Rajaji National Park will cover an area of 1150 square km including Shyampur of Haridwar forest division besides Kotdwar and Laldhang ranges of Lansdowne forest division, he said.

Terming it as a milestone in tiger conservation efforts, Sharma said Uttarakhand can now boast of having another tiger reserve after the Corbett National Park.

There is presence of tigers in the Chilla and Dhaulkhand ranges of the Rajaji National Park which encompasses the Shivaliks near the foothills of the Himalayas.

Considering the tiger population at the Rajaji national Park, the demand for granting it the status of a tiger reserve was being raised by various quarters in recent months.

Chief minister Vijay Bahuguna had made an announcement in this regard on April 1 after which the State Willife Board sent a proposal to the Centre about a fortnight ago, Sharma said.

Rajaji National Park is spread over 820 square km and three districts of Uttarakhand including Haridwar, Dehradun and Pauri Garhwal.

The Park is at the northwestern limit of distribution for both elephants and tigers in the country and has the largest population of elephants in Uttarakhand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

I wish this is the latest information and I shall be very happy if it really is.

Till middle of May, 2013, Parliament has been informed about clearance of proposals by NTCA for setting up of 4 new Tiger reserves :1) Pilibhit 2)Ratapani 3)Sunabeda 4)Mukundara Hills. I have not noted whether they are 'In Principle clearance' or 'final clearance' before notification.

As regards Rajaji NP for which I have great love, the CM of Uttarakhand announced about 1 year back that Rajaji will be elevated to the status of a TR. Till middle of May, 2013 there was no further information.

You have given us very good news. And yet, I presume that it is 'In Principle' approval; and we have long way to go to complete the formalities before declaring it as a Tiger Reserve. Nevertheless it is a step in the right direction.

"The genetic diversity has been lost dramatically compared to the tigers of British Raj and what diversity remains is divided into a small (20-120) individual population. Indian tigers are facing extinction because of lack of variety in partners and resultant lack of diversity." (The Times of India, London, 20 May 2013)

"Drying DNA pool stalks Indian Tigers."(The Telegraph, London, 20 May 2013)

For long years I have been yearning for Rajaji-Corbett corridor.

Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild
    Last edited by Saktipada Panigrahi; 25-05-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Bhai Debasis,

Yes, you have given us the latest information and we all are very happy. The Statesman, Kolkata has published the news item today ( 26 May 2013) as reproduced below:

"TIGER RESERVE STATUS FOR RAJAJI PARK

Dehradun, 25 May: The Centre has cleared a proposal to grant the famous Rajaji National Park in Uttarakhand the status of a tiger reserve. The proposal for elevating the status of Rajaji National Park as a tiger reserve sent to the ministry of environment and forest about a fortnight ago has been approved, Principal Conservator of Forest (Wildlife) S.S.Sharma said. Mr. Sharma said the tiger reserve at Rajaji National Park will cover an area of 1150 square km including Shyampur of Haridwar forest division besides Kotdwar and Laldhang ranges of Lansdowne forest division. pti "

It appears to me that it is 'In-Principle' approval by NTCA and we shall eagerly wait how soon all the formalities are completed by the Centre and State Government and the notification is finally issued by the State.

Kind regards,
    SaktiWild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Saktipadada,

My mother, family and I was staying in Corbett at Gairal old FRH on that day and visited Dhikala FRH, when Chief Minister Bahuguna declared it on 1st April 2013. Our sofa, tea table and dining table from the living room (lucky they did not take any furnitures from the two bedrooms) were taken for CM and his VIP guest for serving lunch at Dhikala, out of curosity went to see who was the VVIP and that is the time heard him stating this and that was officially declared to all Indian citizens by TOI on 25th May 2013.
    I was extremely happy to learn from CM, Dr. Rajesh Gopal and FD of CTR Mr. Misra that Rajaji NP is being elated from NP to tiger reserve. Regards Debasis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It is a welcome news that Rajaji has been given the in principle approval as Tiger Reserve. It thoroughly deserves it. I hope the challenges of anthropogenic pressures, as well as impact of road and rail is minimised. Recently elephants were mowed down by trains. I hope that can be contained.

Thread Information