User Tag List

Thread: Green activists want halt of sand mining in Gunderipallam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Green activists want halt of sand mining in Gunderipallam

A mud track was laid inside the dam catchment area

Green activists are sore over the laying of a mud track within the Gunderipallam dam catchment area along the Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve and reports of rampant illegal sand mining.

According to S. Jayachandran, secretary of Tamil Nadu Green Movement (TNGM) and its coordinator K. Mohanraj, a mud track was laid inside the dam catchment area to facilitate sand smuggling. This dam area (56.26 hectares) is under the control of PWD abutting the Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve.

It also falls within 10km of the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve in eco sensitive zone and sand mining is a clear violation of Supreme Court orders and subsequent guidelines issued by the Ministry of Environment and Forests.

Large number of elephants, gaur, cheetah, bonnet macaques, dholes, wild pigs, peafowl, hornbills, painted storks, spot-bill ducks, egrets, herons, stilts, sandpipers, marsh harriers, kites and other water birds can be seen in this area.

Considering the presence and habitat usage by the wildlife, TNGM urged the Tamil Nadu Government to stop all sand mining activities in the vicinity and take strict action against sand smugglers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sad to see this devastation. In Satyamangalam, there are villages, poaching as well as pressure from people who come in the weekends as well as during festivals. I am surprised to see the image of a big road coming up. Wonder what is the action by the forest department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sabyasachi Patra,

It has been a very long time since I visited this site. This place is a wonderful valley with lot of anthropocentric pressures which we are trying to reduce. This Dam area is under the control of PWD is in a Eco Sensitive Zone abutting the forests.

Kindly read Cheetal not Cheetah as published in news.

regards
    Mohan Raj
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ^^^^^^^^^________________^^""=`~/^^\!

You can plant trees but cannot create forests

Thread Information