Thread: Barasinghas shifting: Forest department seeks Centre's nod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Barasinghas shifting: Forest department seeks Centre's nod

Barasinghas shifting: Forest department seeks Centre's nod
    Sep 7, 2013, 11.44 AM IST

BHOPAL: Madhya Pradesh forest department has made a fresh request to the Ministry of Forest and environment and (MoEF) and National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) seeking approval to translocate hard ground barasinghas (Rucervus duvaucelii branderi) from Kanha Tiger Reserve to Satpura National Park.

The translocation, slated for January 2012, was earlier put on hold by the Centre in 2011 following the death of more than 20 black bucks after shifting them to Kanha from Seoni district.

The Centre had asked the state to carry out a viability study on the project pointing out the state's attempt to reintroduce black bucks in Kanha without carrying out a feasibility study proved disastrous. After the black bucks died of capture myopathy (stress), the Centre was reportedly apprehensive that Barasinghas too might not withstand the stress.

Moreover, in 70s 17 barasinghas were killed while being translocated from Kanha to Bandhavgarh tiger reserve in Umaria district. Most of them died in Kanha after being captured and the remaining died of stress while being shifted to Bandhavgarh.

"We have requested the authorities to clear the proposal so that the shifting can be done at the earliest. All objections have been cleared," Narendra Kumar, principal chief conservator of forest (PCCF) wildlife told TOI.

Population and Habitat Viability Assessments (PHVA) have been completed and reports are positive, said

J S Chouhan, director, Kanha National Park.

The state department wants to shift barasinghas to ensure that in case of an outbreak of a disease leading to their death, its population doesn't get wipe out. After its extinction in Pakistan and Bangladesh, the herbivore is currently found only in isolated localities in Madhya Pradesh, and Nepal. Chouhan said help would be taken from South African experts once the translocation is approved by the Union government.
    Regards,
    Mrudul Godbole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Those who have stayed in Kanha FRH in mid-70s and moved through the Kanha meadow on elephant back or just sat on the roadside to watch large herds of Chitals, a good number of hardground Barasinghas (population was around 67 or so in March,1975), and a few black bucks roaming freely; will be remembering the golden days of Kanha. I recollect Shri H.S. Panwar, the then Field Director was more worried about Barasingha as tigers were becoming resident near the meadow with Barasingha falling as easier prey. I admire his dedication and Kanha became world reknowned during his time. What happened afterwards is history. During 2005 I did not get proper answers to many queries.

GOI has rightly asked for a viability report. It should emanate from the Field Director, Kanha and be duly vetted by the State Govt. and GOI/NTCA may get it APPRAISED by Wildlife Institute of India who should also co-opt independent expert(s) on hardground Barasingha.

I do not know how hardground Barasingha has been found in Nepal.

We have experimented enough with Kanha and it is time to make scientific approach.

No hurry please.
    Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Thread Information