ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Tigers don't like bottles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tigers don't like bottles

I found this sight very close to the Moharli MTDC guest house situated near Tadoba Andhari Tiger reserve. The park has definitely improved taking into account certain areas like vehicular discipline but cleanliness around it needs to be addressed, especially to those who visit the park regularly.
    On speaking to a few locals around the place, I learned that this bottled area is a part of the route a tiger takes very frequently in the night. Not only tiger, sloth bears and leopards too have been seen taking a stroll in that region.

I also learned that some local drivers get drunk at night and then dispose the same bottles on the green floor. I didn't have to work too much to know how genuine that point was as I sighted a lot of them imitating bird calls and spitting tobacco in the forest, something enough to tell me about the extent of their concern for the surrounding.

Local guesthouses around the park also need to be taught about waste management and disposal techniques if bottles have come from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We Indians have this deep rooted habit of littering and spitting everywhere and no amount of counselling will help change this. When it comes to our National Parks I do not understand what stops the authorities from completely banning people from carrying plastic bottles and wrappers into the park during the safari trips.

It is the only way to keep at least our PAs litter free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aptly said about the ban of plastic around reserves. Enforcing that would be a task but if administered properly by the Govt (which is highly unlikely most of the times), could bring out great results.
    The thing about Indians having an instinct to spit and litter, I feel that's all about the way you look at it. I used to think that way initially but then when I studied and understood the impact littering and spitting had around me, I made efforts to curb it myself on a small scale by monitoring myself in order to not litter my surroundings. Soon, that became a habit and was followed by me wherever I went. Today, I don't litter, spit or urinate anywhere on the road or around forests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not think implementation should be a problem. At the entry gate to the safari each vehicle can be ensured that no one carries a plastic water bottle or packets of chips or other foodstuff. The park authorities should make it a rule and ensure the checking is done for every vehicle that enters the park. Not very difficult to put to practice...

As far as the habit of spitting and littering is concerned, my experience has been similar to yours, from my High school days I made a conscious decision to not litter or spit and have strictly followed it. I used to tell others around me to avoid these habits but I mostly got ridiculed and made fun of. I realised that it has become a part of our culture and is a habit difficult to break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When we go abroad, we don't spit or throw things on the road. However, I find the same people rolling down the windows of their expensive BMWs and Mercedes etc and throwing the wafers packet on the road. We don't care because we think nothing will happen if we indulge in such habits.

Wildlife photographers - the less said the better.

The resorts around the forests should be forced to stop selling packaged drinking water. In US, the hotels themselves are starting a movement to provide filter water. Normally they earn more money by selling water bottles. However, they have taken the lead in providing clean drinking water. Why can't our hotels and resorts do the same?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much can government implement and who can help our nation, if the elite of our society who spends few thousands for a night in the forest and can afford at the minimum fifty thousand rupees camera with lens indulges in such habbits. We have to help ourselves first then only we can help our nation and her natural wealth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aptly said Mr Sabyasachi. It's all in the mind, it's totally upto us to control ourselves from littering. If people can follow the rule abroad, they might as well do it here regardless of the consequences.
    The ban on sale of bottles and plastic items by resorts near any forest should be implemented by the central govt so that uniformity can be maintained and other state factors don't interfere.
    Mr. Debasis rightly pointed out the need for ethics, a depleting resource in our country.

Thread Information